P R O L O G U E

Saturday, 28 June, 2014

Sylus

I smiled as Nyco walked into the room and took a seat next to me, draping his arm over my shoulders. I put my phone down to peck him on the cheek, "Hi, Nike."

"Hey, Si," he greeted me, giving a squeeze to my shoulder.

"You know, I wa just reading about this drug -- it's a so-called immortality drug, everyone says it's going to be the biggest thing since the end of global warming," I told my boyfriend excitedly, "If they really do figure it out, would you want to be immortal?"

Nyco shook his head, "Never. I wouldn't want to live forever. Besides, that's probably fake news, anyway.

I shrugged my shoulders, "Well, you never know. But it would be pretty cool to be immortal."

"Until you want to stop living," he pointed out, "What would you do for the rest of eternity?"

"I'd spend the rest of forever with you, obviously," I flirted, leaning over to kiss the brunette on the lips.

"Hmm, I guess that'd be nice," he murmured against my lips, "That would definitely be the only reason I'd ever want to live forever."

"Then maybe they better hurry up and figure it out," I joked.

He pulled away from me slightly, shaking his head, though, there was an amused, barely-there smirk, "Well, we're still fourteen, there's no reason to rush into immortality."

"That's true....I guess," I agreed, letting out a small sigh, "I doubt eternal life is all it's cracked up to be anyway."

Nyco hummed in agreement, "Not all 'amazing' things usually are."

***

Sunday, 31 August, 2014

"I'm starting to wonder whether they've cleared up all the contamination from a month ago," I said, "There's obviously a reason they're trying to stop the immortality drug from spreading....it's kinda freaky."

Nyco took my hand in his, giving it a reassuring squeeze, "It'll all be okay, love. There's no reason to panic."

"I know, but the whole city's under house arrest until they figure it out," I pointed out, "They wouldn't have done that if it wasn't serious."

"Well, they say that the drug has yet to be tested on humans, so, there's no way of telling what the side effects might be," he assured me, "It's all just for safety purposes."

"Right....right," I mumbled, "I'm just being silly."

He pecked me on the cheek, "C'mon, let's have some lunch, yeah?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "I'm not very hungry right now."

He frowned at me, tilting his head, "Are you sure? You haven't eaten all day?"

"I haven't?" I questioned, "Huh, I didn't realise.....but I'm really not hungry."

"If you say so, but can you still help me cook?" Nike asked.

I nodded my head, getting up to follow the brunette into kitchen.

"I feel like tacos," my boyfriend said, digging ingredients out from the fridge and placing them on the counter.

I pulled out a knife and a cutting board before I started cutting up a tomato, "Tacos sound great...now I wish I was hungry."

"I'll make some extra for you....for later," Nyco said with a shrug of his shoulders, "I wouldn't want you to starve on me."

I grinned as I continued to chop up the tomato, but suddenly the knife slipped and cut my finger, blood starting to seep through the small cut, "Son of a bit-"

"AAAH!" the brunette screeched to cover up for my curse. That was one of the things about Nyco; he didn't like cursing and it was absolutely adorable, "Are you okay, Si?"

I narrowed my eyes at the cut on my finger, blinking rapidly....the cut was gone. The only thing there was a tiny bit of blood, otherwise, I'd have thought I was imagining having cut myself.

"Si?"

"I'm fine....it's just -- the cut is gone," I told him, taking a cloth to wipe away the blood and showed it to Nyco, "I swear I just cut my finger....that's strange."

He took my hand in his, looking closely at the finger that I had supposedly cut, "Very strange."

I wasn't sure what was happening to me, but I didn't like it.

And, it was definitely the worst thing that ever happened to me.