S I X T E E N

Friday, 12 September, 2014

Sylus

"...symptoms may include..."

Those words seemed to keep repeating over and over again in my head.

Hollow Disease -- that's what they were calling it...everything happening to me was because of that damned immortality drug, and it was obvious that whatever this is was actually progressing. Immortality, -- apparently -- super healing, depression, -- though, that was already there to begin with -- and the progressive loss of appetite...I mean, the other stuff is yet to happen, but it's still happening and sounds really damn bad.

"Sylus?" I heard Nyco call, "You okay? You're being kinda quiet."

I looked up at the brunette, forcing a sweet smile and shaking my head, "No, no. I'm fine, I guess I'm just sick of being stuck indoors all the time -- with the house arrest and everything."

He smiled sweetly at me before taking a seat next to me and pecking me on the cheek, "Me too. Honestly, it's ridiculous that we haven't been able to go anywhere for almost two months now."

I nodded in agreement, trying to stop the queasy feeling I had, "They honestly can't expect everyone to be fine with this. Honestly...what was Doctor Reed thinking?"

Nyco hummed at that, draping an arm over my shoulders, "He was a man with a very stupid idea about eternal life. The only difference between him and the rest of the idiots is that he tried to make it instead of searching the world for it."

"Yeah...definitely," I murmured.

My boyfriend ran a hand through my hair, letting it stay tangled in my blonde hair while we continued to talk, "You're sure you're okay? You're being...odd."

"Odd?" I questioned, "How?"

"You're quiet and making a very odd face...kinda like you're upset about something," he answered, using his free hand to feel my forehead, "Well, you don't have a fever...maybe it's just a bit of cabin fever?"

"Maybe..." I responded with a small shrug.

***

"Where are you going?" I asked as I saw Nyco turning to leave the room.

He looked back at me with a confused look, "I just told you that I was going to get a glass of water. Remember?"

"Oh," I said like I had remembered him saying that, "Right. My memory's always been pretty bad, huh?"

Nyco smiled at me before leaving the room.

This...wasn't supposed to progress so quickly, was it?

I know that memory loss is a symptom, but...I wasn't expecting it to be happening so quickly. I mean...it's probably different for everyone, but why does it have to be so quick with me?

"Baby?" I heard Nyco say, "Why are you crying? What happened?"

My boyfriend took a seat next to me on the couch and I immediately buried my head in his chest, clinging onto his shirt so hard my hands started to hurt.

"Baby...baby, what's wrong?"

"Nyco," I murmured, pulling back just enough to see his face, "Hollow Disease...the thingy on the news."

Somehow, the brunette had managed to understand what I was saying, pulling me impossibly closer to him.

And that was all it was for a while.

We just sat there in the lounge as we cried.

And that was the very last time I could remember loving someone...