E L E V E N

Sunday, 13 October, 2019

Zyre

"You know how you don't realise you like someone until someone kinda tells you they might also like you?" I asked Melo as soon as she sat down next to me.

"No?" she answered with a puzzled look on her face, "Do you need a relationship talk?"

"Kinda..." I mumbled with a shrug of my shoulders.

The pink-haired girl let out a small gasp, "Does this mean what I think it does?"

I crossed my arms defensively, "Maybe."

She pat her lap with one of her hands before forcefully pulling me down and making me rest my head on her lap, "So, tell me about it...the whole 'you totally like Nyco' thing, you know?"

"Should I know?" I asked sarcastically, "I guess I kinda realised that I do actually have a thing for him. Which is weird, because I haven't dated anyone since my first girlfriend...and I haven't felt anything for anyone for a long time."

"Girlfriend?"

"Hey, a guy's gotta figure out he's gay somehow," I said, rolling my eyes, "Having a crush is weird."

"You can't actually tell me this is the first time you've ever had a crush on someone," she said, "That's ridiculous."

"Hey!" I protested, "I was, like, fourteen and still in the closet after breaking up with the only girlfriend I ever had. And a plague isn't exactly the best time to come out to your family."

"Okay...that does make sense."

After that, Nyco came into the room, raising an eyebrow at me as he went to go make his morning coffee, "This is something I'd never want to see."

"What?" I asked, "Don't look at me like I'm some hetero."

"Seems like a cheesy romance story in the works," the brunette commented.

"I bet you used to have a cheesy romance story," I replied, "Maybe they were your best friend."

Nyco cleared his throat awkwardly, his face flushing pink, "No...no, of course not. What could've ever given you that idea?"

"Just seems like something that might happen," I said with a shrug.

"Nothing ever happens like it does in the movies, you know."

"Sure it does," I argued, "There are those movies that are based on true stories."

"Yeah, now I'm leaving," Nyco said before spinning around and walking out through the door.

As the door closed behind him, I looked back up at Melo, "That didn't go very well, did it?"

"I mean...not really," she told me, "No. I don't even know what that was."

"Neither do I."

***

"You know, I do actually believe you're not a spy," Nyco said as soon as he turned around and spotted me kinda totally not following him through the entire building, "You really aren't very sneaky."

I shrugged my shoulders, "Maybe I was trying to be obvious."

He smiled at me, "Really? Because that wasn't obvious at all."

"Well, maybe I just wanted some attention," I said with a shrug, "I was bored."

"Like you don't get enough of that from me already," he teased before walking over to me, "I think you just like annoying me."

I felt my face go warm as I took in a breath. Here goes nothing... "Yeah, well, maybe I just like you," I told him before leaning up and pecking him lightly on the lips.

"Oh," he murmured, blinking rapidly a few times, "You-you like me?"

I shifted awkwardly on my feet, crossing my arms as I looked away sheepishly, "I'm pretty sure that's what I said."

I heard Nyco clear his throat, "No...no."

I snapped my head towards him, "What?"

"No," he repeated before spinning on his heels and walking off down the hall.

Oh...

So this is what it feels like to be rejected.

It was a lot worse than I expected...