E I G H T E E N

Thursday, 31 October, 2019

Zyre

"I don't see how you'd be important to this Nyco guy," Marcus told me, crossing his arms and frowning at me.

"Neither do I," I said honestly, "I'm a train wreck . . . and I should've died a long time ago."

"What d'you mean by that?" he asked me.

"Nothing, really," I murmured, "But I should be some sort of dead -- inside or however else that's possible."

"You are the most depressing prisoner I've ever met."

"Do you get many prisoners?" I asked jokingly.

"It's kind of like our business," he said, "Raid. Kill. Kidnap. Create a mole. Then, repeat."

"What a glorious system you've got here," I muttered sarcastically.

"You're just a little ball of sunshine, aren't--"

The man was cut off by a loud crash that had come from outside.

"Damnit," Markus said, "Those idiots better not be fighting again. Stay here."

"Oh, I'll be long gone by the time you get back."

"I bet that's Nyco," Jexa said, "I'm told you he'd come for us."

"Maybe it's those damn idiots that probably fight a lot."

She rolled her eyes, "You, sir, are not a fun guy."

"Sorry," I muttered bitterly, "Should I be absolutely ecstatic that you could die here?"

Suddenly, I saw Marcus flying back through the door he attempted to exit the room.

"Holy crap."

Jexa nodded, "Looks like our rescue team is here."

Just as she said that Melo came through the same door, kicking Marcus in the side as she passed by him, spinning the keys on one of her fingers.

"Hello," she greeted us before walking over to my cell and unlocking it.

"Thanks," I said, "It was getting a bit stuffy in here."

She smiled sweetly at me before going over to free Jexa, "I missed you and your jokes."

"That's great to know."

Then, Nyco burst through the door, his eyes immediately locking onto me before he practically charged at me -- arms were wrapped around me and lips were smashed against mine as I was tackled to the floor. . . it was this whole very weird thing that had happened. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

As soon as the brunette pulled away from me with a goofy grin on his face, I said, "That's hella romantic."

He chuckled at that before pecking me on the lips, "What can I say? I'm very happy you're still alive."

"You should've seen him when he realised you were gone," Melo interjected, totally ruining our super romantic moment, "Absolute wreck -- cared more about finding you in one piece than anything else."

Nyco turned bright pink at that, "Did not. Anyway. . . what's up with that blood? You aren't hurt, are you?"

"That-that was from when they killed Arelle," I mumbled, suddenly feeling kinda sick.

"She was alive?" Melo asked in shock.

"Yeah," Jexa answered, "She isn't anymore. . . unless they're really good magicians."

"What about Ace and Adrian?" the pink-haired girl questioned.

"Ace turned to a spy to keep Arelle from dying -- didn't work . . . not so sure about Adrian, though," I told her, "We probably should've known after he took one day to get over his 'dead' wife."

"Would've made sense," Nyco agreed as he got up, picking me up in his arms as soon as he was standing again. I just wrapped my arms around his shoulders and my legs around his waist.

What? It's not like I was going to complain about an excuse to be lazy.

After a while, we had decided to leave the room and Nyco just carried me around everywhere. . . not gonna lie, I like it.

"Hey look!" Brax exclaimed, "Nyco and Melo found them."

"But why are you carrying Zyre?" Bryx asked, raising his eyebrows at us, "It doesn't look like he can't walk."

"Shush! Let me be pampered," I shushed the man, a pout on my face.

"I think he's just a giant child," the sun-haired man murmured, "Why do you like him again?"

"I have my reasons."

***

"When did you actually realise you like me?" I asked Nyco, "You definitely weren't like this a week ago."

"It maybe took a slap in the face to realise it," he said with a small shrug.

"Was it bitch slap?"

"Sure?"

"I'm just gonna say it, someone needed to bitch slap you sooner," I said, leaning my head over so I could rest it on the boy's shoulder.

"Well, I'm sorry that the raiders didn't steal you sooner."

"You know, Marcus was a half decent guy," I said, "It wasn't necessary to make him go flying."

"Did you really befriend your prison guard?" he asked me in slight shock.

I nodded, "A bit, yeah."

"I'd prefer if you refrain from doing that if this ever happens again," he told me, draping an arm over my shoulders.

"If I must," I said with a sad sigh.

Nyco chuckled lightly, pressing a feather-light kiss to my forehead.

"They're kissing again!" Melo said in fake annoyance.

"Look, we all wanted you two to get together, but this is too much," Brax said, crossing his arms, "You have to stop being so cute before we all want to gouge our eyes out."

"We're younger than most of them, and we're still more mature," Nyco murmured, shaking his head in disappointment.

I rose my eyebrows at that, "Speak for yourself, darling."

"Aren't you older than me?" he asked me.

"Dunno," I answered, "I was born in January . . . of 2000."

" . . . By seven months, then," he said, "Am I the only mature one here?"

"Yes," Everyone, including myself, said together.

"Am I allowed to leave the room?" the brunette asked, "Or would that be inappropriate?"

I looked up at him, "Oh, can you bring me with you?"

"Sure."