I. THE SHAME

-Tuesday, 1985-

The two girls danced around the puddle of water, singing happily. Their brown pigtails swinging around their shoulders as the water danced with them, drenching their skirts. "Haz, look! Look! The water!" One of the girls shrieked happily and pointed to the puddle.

Haz looked down, seeing that the water was splashing with their song, seeming alive. She let out a laugh, spinning around quickly as her socks stained with the mud. "It's dancing, Lav! Dancing with us!" She cried and her sister joined her in twirling again.

Their laughter echoed up through the trees and the birds joined in with their singing, offering their own melodies. Haz's eyes were shining brightly, her round cheeks hurting from smiling so much. "Hazel! Lavender!" She heard a soft voice cry and the girls immediately stopped spinning, racing towards the woods. A little deeper in, a warm house came into view.

A small lady was standing in the door, an apron adoring her flowery dress. The girls squealed and propelled themselves into her legs, giggling. "My sweet muffins!" A large voice boomed and they were all swept into a large hug from a large man.

The family's laughter rang through the warm air.

May 2nd.

The day my sister died.

It's one of the worst days I can remember.

Everyone was surprised that my bubbly, happy sister was dead.

She had so much to live for, she had so much going for her.

It was what everyone told me.

I've tried. Trust me. But I just can't shake it from my mind.

We were supposed to graduate together.

But she left me.

Fuck, I hate her for leaving me.

The girl slammed her journal shut, tears running down her face. She hated writing in this Merlin-forsaken journal but it was supposed to help her. It was supposed to help her move on from her dead sister. It'd been only a few months since that wretched day. The day her world crumbled around her as her family split down the middle. You would've thought it would bring them closer together. But it had the opposite effect.

Her desk had once been filled with pictures of her sister. Pictures of her smiling, of her alive. But she'd burned them, ripped them up, tossed them away. Because she didn't want to be reminded of her.

The girl looked exactly like her sister; they had the same eyes, the same gentle jawline, the same shade of hair. Her mom couldn't even look at her. She was the eerie echo of her dead sister and she hated it. It seemed as if nobody could look her in the eyes, the same eyes that her sister had. They were identical to the last strand of hair.

That's the downside of when your twin sister dies in the Wizarding War.

~V~

Hazel stared at herself in the mirror, running over her facial features. Her nose, her cheeks, her lips. All hers. They weren't hers because they were hers. Everything was hers. And she hated herself for it. "You just had to die, didn't you?" She told herself bitterly, tugging on the ends of her hair. The letter had arrived, announcing that the Ministry declared all former Sixth Years must return to Hogwarts for their final year. Fuck that. Fuck them. Fuck everything.

As if she wanted to go back to that place. Wanted to walk past the area she'd found her twin. As if she wanted to deal with the stares and the whispering of those who saw her. Because school would just be another reminder that she was here and she wasn't. She'd pleaded with her parents, threw fits and tantrums; she tried everything. She cursed them, gave them the silent treatment, cried to them. But in the end, she realized it wasn't as much as their worry for her education that drove them to put their foot down.

It was the fact that they couldn't look at her. Her mother couldn't look in her eyes, couldn't utter more than a few words. Because the voice that answered back wouldn't be hers, it would be hers. And Merlin, she hated it. She couldn't help it. Couldn't help the fact that the fucking egg split in two, creating them. It wasn't her fault. "It isn't my fault!" She screamed, slamming her fist into the mirror.

The glass shattered immediately, raining down around her as quickly as her life had split. The pain in her hand radiated up her arm and she felt the familiar stinging of her knuckles; she'd broken the skin on them. She dropped her hand to her side, glaring at the broken pieces. I fucking hate mirrors.

"Hazel?" Her mother's concerned voice distracted her and she turned her head, otherwise unmoving. She was standing in the doorway, staring at the broken mirror. Her eyes slowly slid to Hazel's broken knuckles and she closed her eyes, sighing. The girl felt her chest heaving and she turned away bitterly.

"Don't worry about it. I'll clean it up." She muttered, knowing how tired her mother was of cleaning up her messes. Her mother didn't seem to hear her, or she didn't care, because she began reaching for her wand. "I said I'll fucking take care of it!" She barked loudly and her mother jumped, her eyes darting to hers for a split second.

They looked away again but not fast enough; she saw the sadness in them, saw the pity but most, the shame. The shame was there, loudly screaming in her ears, pulsing out through her body. "Okay." Her mother said softly and backed away, her gaze stuck on the ground. She's afraid of me.

Without thinking, Hazel slammed the door shut in her face. She saw the shadow of her mother under the door before it left. "Why do you care?" She screamed at the door, her cry echoing around the marble. "Why do you fucking care? Why do you bother?"

The door's answer was silence.