Five: Carson

Dr. Wallace ended up calling the police in and Maely was escorted back to her dorm. She was to be excused from any activities going on that day.

Maely was terrified of being locked in a room with angry Calum and her sick dorm-mate. She had never spoken to the heavily tattooed girl.

She thought she'd give it a try.

"Hello." Maely's voice wavered slightly.

The girl rolled over in bed and looked up at her. "Hi." she said.

The whites of her eyes were completely bloodshot. Maely glanced nervously at Calum, who was leaning against the door. For a while the room was quiet.

"So what did you do to get in so much trouble?" the girl asked. She sat up.

Maely glanced at her nose piercings and her purple-tipped hair.

Maely sighed, "It's a long story."

The girl rolled her eyes a little.

"What's your name?" she asked.

"Maely." Maely replied.

"Carson." the girl said with a nod.

"Shit." Maely ticked, scratching her arm.

Carson's eyes grew wide as she saw Maely's arm, but she didn't ask anything.

"How'd you end up here? You don't seem like a whack-job." Maely blurted.

Carson laughed. "My boyfriend and I both got sent here for rehabilitation. But it was mostly because his friends were sent here and he didn't want to leave them." Carson explained.

Maely nodded. The room went quiet again until Calum spoke.

"It's ok for you to be friends with her."

Maely reeled back in shock.

"What's wrong?" Carson asked. She followed Maely's gaze to the door.

"Di--?...Nothing." Maely said tiredly.

Carson twirled her dark brown hair between her fingers, "So why're you here?"

Maely took a long time to reply. "I have Tourette's." she stated.

Carson nodded, then pulled a cigarette from under her pillow.

Maely quirked an eyebrow.

Calum walked over and sat next to the small girl. "Go ahead. Ask her to be friends." Calum whispered.

Maely couldn't tell if he was serious. "Are you joking?" Maely asked him.

Carson looked up from lighting her cancer stick. "Are you talking to me?" she asked, her cigarette dancing on her lips.

"No." Maely said simply.

Carson went back to what she was doing.

"No. Just ask her." Calum prompted.

Maely had honestly never made friends with anyone before, and she was nervous. She didn't have to ask Calum to be her friend. He just was.

"Uh," Maely started. Carson took the cigarette out of her mouth, blowing a puff of foul-smelling smoke. "W-would you like...uh, to be...friends."

"Sure." Carson said, shrugging.

Maely released a breath she didn't know she was holding.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

I am really bad at making friends.

Like.....how?