Three: whack-jobs

Maely sat down at her small lunch table and Calum joined her.

"I like your shirt." he commented.

"You made it for me." she said, smiling.

"I know." Calum said, making her laugh.

It went quiet for a while as Maely ate.

Calum almost never ate or drank anything. When Maely tried to ask the lunch ladies to give some to him, they would just roll their eyes. Sometimes they pretended to put something on his tray. It made Maely very angry and Calum would say something rude to them for making her angry.

It always made Maely mad when people ignored Calum. He was a person, too.

No one ever sat with Maely at lunch, except Calum. He would drive everyone away.

But Maely preferred to be alone with Calum than with anyone in the entire world.

Maely scratched her arm.

"Doesn't that hurt?" Calum asked. He asked almost everytime she ticked.

"No, Calum." she said with a little sigh.

A kid at the opposite table turned to Maely in his wheelchair, "Will you quit talking to your food!"

Calum turned to the kid and began to speak in a hushed tone. "Hold your tounge or I'll chop off your other leg." he growled.

Both Maely and the amputee gasped.

"Calum, don't say that!" Maely scolded.

The wheelchair kid looked at Maely, terror in his eyes.

A girl across the table spoke up with a wheeze, "She's schizophrenic."

She had tubes hooked up to her nose as well as a bald head. Lung cancer.

Maely quirked an eyebrow, but the boy nodded. Maely had no clue what "schizophrenic" meant, so she ignored the comment.

"Don't listen to those whack-jobs, Maels." Calum said.

Maely smiled at her nickname and turned back to her food as a little ding went off.

Time to go back to class.

The orphanage tripled as a school and therapeutic/rehab center. It was really quite clever.

Next class was actually visiting her therapist.

Maely threw her tray away and skipped to Dr. Wallace's office. Calum grasped her hand and she stopped skipping.

The orphanage was always very loud due to autistic kids, as well as so many life support machines. Maely had grown accustomed to it her first few days here.

She knocked on Dr. Wallace's door before pulling Calum through the doorway.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

But guys, I love you