Eighteen: no swearing

Maely stumbled next to Calum, using him for support. She giggled. A lot.

She'd fallen down a couple times on her way to B182, but she eventually made it.

Carson was getting a bit irritated by all the giggling.

Luke knocked on the door, then opened it. Carson's hand flew to her mouth when she saw poor Ashton on a cot. Many tubes wound in and around his body. It was horrifying.

Despite his predicament, Ashton found himself smiling up at his friends.

"Hi, guys." he spoke in a hoarse whisper.

"Oh my lord." Carson said, wiping her eyes.

Calum stayed outside, trying to get Maely to cooperate and stop giggling. He poked his head in, taking a good look at Ashton, "You look like a cyborg." His voice cracked a bit.

Ashton laughed, then winced in pain.

Michael turned away from Ash and cried silently into his hands.

"Don't cry, Mikey. I'm gonna be outta here by tomorrow." Ashton wispered.

He hated sadness and crying with a deep passion.

"You sure, mate?" Luke asked quietly. Ashton nodded his head and closed his eyes.

"Maely for God's sake, stop laughing! This isn't funny!" Calum shouted from the hall.

Ashton's eyes flew open again as he heard a loud smack, followed by a squeal.

"Oh, fuck, not here!" Carson muttered.

"No swearing!" Ashton said.

Calum poked his head through the door way again. His cheeks were flushed with anger, "I'm leaving, I-I just need a drink."

"Take Maely with you." Carson said, as his head disappeared.

"Fuck no!" he shouted.

"What did I say about the fucking swearing?" Ashton muttered to himself.

A tiny smile spread across Michael and Luke's faces.

Carson walked out of the room, shortly returning with Maely in tow. Literally. She dragged her into the small room.

Ashton saw Maely's face; her cheek was red and swollen, as well as her eyes from crying.

"Dammit, Calum," Ashton muttered, gritting his teeth. "C'mere, Maels."

Ashton extended his arms as Maely stood up. She surveyed him for a long time, the meds tripping her up.

"A...shton?" she asked quietly.

All the color drained from her face as she shuffled over to his cot. A sick feeling arose in Maely's stomach, but she swallowed it down.

"It's ok, Maely, I promise." Ashton whispered.

Maely leaned down a bit to get a closer look at him. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"W-what happened-d to you?"

She was the only one who didn't know. She was kept in the dark. Her reaction would be much worse now that the medication was fading, and Carson knew it.

She turned to Luke and he held her. Carson buried her face in Luke's shoulder, but she didn't cry.

Michael's head dipped a bit as he escorted the couple out to give Maely and Ashton some time.

Maely's tears dripped onto Ashton's cheek and she repeated her question, "What happened to you...?"

Ashton pulled her forehead to meet his lips.

"Maely, I'm so sorry," his voice never wavered.

Not once.

He accepted his fate, knowing there was nothing to be done.

"My cancer's spreading."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I SWEAR TO GOD HE LIVES OK IM NOT GONNA KILL HIM TWICE IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN