Chapter 8

For Bishop, getting a call from Alvarez while they were still away from home wasn't unusual. Getting a call when they were in the middle of an important task, one that was pressing and possibly dangerous, was incredibly disconcerting. Marcus wouldn't call unless it was important and this was very important.

Bishop stepped away from the others for some privacy and answered his phone as quickly as he could. "What's going on?"

"Galindo spoke to the DA."

"And?" Bishop huffed, he could hear there was a problem in his older cousin's voice. "This was a done deal."

"It was supposed to be." Alvarez's words were heavy with anger. "Roxy was attacked in the infirmary, she's alright just a few pokes but she went after the girl. Sliced her up."

"Good girl," Bishop said under his breath. "So no release til she's healed up?"

"Warden wants to make an example of her," Alvarez explained. "Can't kill him but we can sic SAMCRO's boy on him."

Bishop's jaw clenched. "Hap's not around. We'll handle it."

When Bishop turned around he could see Coco looking at him intently. He slid his phone back into his pocket and shook his head.

"One more hurdle," he said apologetically.

"This is some bullshit," he spat. "What now?"

"She's in some shit with the warden," Bishop explained. "He needs some convincing."

"I'll convince him," Coco said quickly. "I'm not leaving this shit hole state without her, not again."

"You can't kill him," Bishop warned him. "You up to it?" When Coco nodded in agreement, Bishop texted Coco the address from Alvarez. "I'm coming with you, we all are."

They had to move hastily, no time to prepare, and with no supplies or backup but as they gathered outside the Warden's door Coco felt confident and determined. He knocked on the door, the others scattered around the property watching closely, and waited with growing anxiety for the man to open the door.

"Can I help you?" The warden asked as he opened the door to see Coco under the porchlight. He had a hat on, no kutte, and spoke clearly but not too loud. The closest neighbors were out of view, far off down the road and blocked by trees but they were still trying to be as low key as possible.

"Yah," Coco said casually. He showed his gun in his pants and gestured toward the vestibule. "We gotta talk."

Coolly, the warden nodded and allowed Coco into the house. "I recognize you, I know what this is."

"Then you know what I want," Coco snapped. "What's it gonna take to get it?" He asked, reaching back and shutting the door behind him.

"I'm not gonna risk my life for that girl," he said angrily. It looked like the warden was thinking exactly what they hoped. A minor offender like Roxy was just not worth the trouble. "I'll let her go but I do want one thing in return."

Coco relaxed a little feeling this was going to end much easier than he expected. "I can try to help you out," he shrugged.

"Who's the guard who got you in?" The warden asked bitterly. "I've seen you visiting Roxanna Teller, I saw your little meeting in the room," he smirked at the memory, "But whoever got you in was smart enough to cover his tracks."

"You saw that shit?" Coco asked with surprise. "I thought the room was paid for, no cameras.

The warden shook his head. "He lets prisoners watch the tape of you two for cash. You trusted the wrong guy."