Chapter 23

"What's going on?"

Bishop stood in the elevator bay of Imperial hospital with Taza on his right and Riz on his left. The trio looked on with concern while listening to Coco break down what was happening with Mateo.

"Doc said it's polycystic kidney disease," he said somberly, "His kidneys have cysts or some shit on them. They're waiting for the specialist to come in and talk to Rox."

Each of the three men reacted as Coco expected, stoic but very clearly concerned and distressed by the news.

"What are they doing for him?" Riz asked, his eyes squinting as he looked at Coco for answers.

"Kid's got a kidney infection, so they're giving him shit for that," Coco explained. "It's all treatable, at least that's what they're saying, it's not gonna kill him or anything as long as he gets what he needs."

"Christ," Bishop huffed. "Is this family gonna catch a goddamn break?"

Coco shook his head. "Asking myself the same shit."

"I meant you too," Bishop said to Coco. "I know he's not your blood but this isn't easy on you. Anything you need, tell us."

Coco nodded, his eyes glistening with tears. "Thanks, jefe. Me and Rox appreciate it."

"She call Alvarez?" Taza asked.

"She wanted Bish to do it," Coco said with a frown.

Bishop shook his head. "I'm no doctor. I can't explain this shit."

"Don't have to explain it," Coco said, "Just tell him to come down."

"I'll do it," Taza offered.

"Thanks," Bishop said quickly before Taza left to make the call. "Should we go say hi?"

"Teo would love it," Coco said eagerly. "He hates being in here."

"We'll make the prospect come up as a clown to cheer the kid up," Bishop laughed.

"Yo, that's not funny," Coco said darkly. "Clowns are fucking evil. I see a clown coming toward me, I'm gonna fucking shoot it."

"You need help, my brother," Riz said with a chuckle.

"Me?" Coco asked defensively as he led them toward Mateo's hospital room. "Clowns are evil. Everyone knows it. If anyone needs help it's those goofy ass psychos."

Bishop and Riz laughed, walking into the room behind Coco, but their smiles fell when they saw Roxy's pained expression and little Mateo is the giant hospital bed. He had an IV and a blood pressure cuff, limiting his range of motion, and he looked just as miserable as he felt.

"Querida," Bishop said softly, greeting Roxy with a strong embrace. "Holding up?"

"I am," she forced a smile. "Thanks for the visit."

"Course," he winked. "Teo," he was suddenly more lively. "How are ya kid?"

"Bored," he whinnied.

"I know," Bishop commiserated. "How about we send EZ around with some stuff? What do you want?"

Mateo looked at Roxy for permission and she quickly nodded. "Anything you want, baby."

Riz laughed as Mateo started rambling a list of things he wanted. "I gotta write this shit down."

"He's got a lot of this stuff at home," Roxy told Coco.

"I'll grab it," he assured her. "Taza is calling Alvarez now."