Chapter 9

"I can't thank you enough, Coco," Roxy said again as they pulled up outside her building, "Really."

"You're welcome," he said with a sweet smile. "It was selfish, I wanted you out for me too."

Roxy swallowed back those three words again and pressed her forehead against his. "You're amazing. I'll see you soon?"

"Just say when," he said. "I'm coming up to get Letti."

Roxy took the stairs two at a time and pounded on the front door. She heard Mateo and Letti on the other side as the locks clicked one by one. The door swung open and Roxy rushed in, grabbing Mateo and lifting him into her arms.

"Mommy!" Mateo clapped his hands behind her head as she hugged him.

"Sweetie," she cried. "Mommy missed you so much. I'm so sorry I was gone. I'm never gonna leave you again, I swear."

Mateo, unable to really understand the gravity of the situation his mother was in, just hugged her back. He was excited, he had missed her, but the promises didn't mean much to him as a four year old.

"Mommy's home!" He said joyfully. "Can we go for ice cream?!"

"Of course baby," Roxy sniffled. "Burgers and ice cream?"

"YEAH!" Mateo shouted. "Can Letti come?"

"Do you want her to come?" Roxy asked, putting him back on the floor and crouching down to his eye level.

"Yeah! She's the best babysitter ever!"

"Then of course she can," Roxy said with a smile. "What if I asked Coco too?"

"Coco is her daddy?"

"Yes, he is," Roxy said.

"Okay!" He said quickly, obviously not caring either way. "Can I go play now?"

Roxy laughed and nodded. "Yeah, go ahead kiddo." When she stood again, Roxy hugged Letti without a word or any warning. "Thank you so much for taking care of my baby."

Although she was uncomfortable with the sudden show of affection, Letti returned the hug. "You're welcome. He's fun and uh, you know," she shrugged, "Family."

"I'm proud of you," Coco told her. He'd been trying to show her how good family could be, introducing her to the club and Roxy, and it seemed she'd really taken his lessons to heart.

"Why don't we meet around 6?" Roxy said, stepping back from both of them. "For dinner?"

"Yeah, uh, after dinner we gotta hit the clubhouse," Coco said reluctantly. Bishop told him to bring her there but he knew the conversation would be far from pleasant. "Bish wants to talk shit over, you know? Little debrief."

"Oh, uh, sure," Roxy shrugged. She hugged him again. "I never would have made it in there, Johnny. Thank you. You truly saved my life."

Coco kissed her cheek. "You're welcome, mama. I'll see you tonight."

"Hey," Coco tapped Letti when everyone was finished eating, "Go take Mateo to the arcade."

Roxy watched as Coco gave her some cash and sent her and Mateo across the diner to the small arcade. She was hesitant, it was odd and she knew it was probably not good.

"What?" She asked, pushing her plate away from her. "What is it?"

"After this, Bishop wants to have a sit down," he said sadly.

"I know," she suspiciously. "You told me that."

"Yeah but I don't want you walking in there blind."