Chapter 29

*6 Weeks Later*

"Coco!"

Mateo bounded in through the back door screaming for his stepfather with blood running from his nose and big fat tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Chiquito," Coco said in surprise with a hint of concern in his voice. Taking a knee, he grabbed Mateo by the shoulders to look him over for serious injury before comforting him. "What happened, mijo?"

"I," he sniffled, "Fell," he sobbed "Into," he sobbed again "The patio wall," he finally finished with a loud wail.

"It's all right," he said softly. "You're good, you're alright."

Mateo cried into Coco's shoulder, blood, tears, and snot smearing on his kutte and only began to compose himself when Happy strolled in. Although they were getting used to all living together Mateo was still reticent.

"Come on, lemme clean you up before your mom gets home."

Scooping him up, Coco sat Mateo on the kitchen island and grabbed the first aid kit. He cleaned the crusty blood, careful not to hurt the boy, and gently checked for any real damage. Happy watched quietly as he headed toward the laundry room.

"Can you breathe through your nose?" Coco asked.

Mateo sniffed and nodded. "Yeah."

"Still got all them teeth?" Coco asked as he dabbled the scrapes and cuts with antibacterial ointment.

Running his tongue along his teeth, Mateo nodded and smiled joyfully. "Yeah!"

"You're all good then, hombrecito," Coco said excitedly. Placing a tiny band aid over the worst of the cuts Coco then gave Mateo another hug. "Feel better?"

"Can I have a cookie?" He asked with a sly smile.

"Yeah," Coco laughed as he opened the cookie jar. "Now get outta here."

The door slammed again and suddenly Happy was lingering in the doorway between the kitchen and laundry room.

"He okay?"

Coco tensed but he nodded. "Kid's fine. He's a tough little fucker like his mom."

"Yeah, she's tough," Hap chuckled.

"Not funny," Coco spat. "They shouldn't have to be." Coco's guilt and regret over his own daughter and pain he's caused her and others was intensifying his opinion.

"That ain't on me," he said defensively.

"Part of it is," Coco snapped back.

Roxy walked in, a bunch of grocery bags up her arms, and growled as she slammed them down on the counter.

"Could you put your dicks away and help me?"

Both men turned to see her glaring at them. Coco was about to apologize when she shook her head. "No more lo siento," Roxy told him with exasperation. "Just go get the goddamn bags."

Coco stared at her before huffing out of the house rather than fight with her in front of Happy. He refused to give Happy the satisfaction.

"I'm fucking with your family," Happy grumbled.

"Don't give yourself that much credit," she scoffed.

"So your relationship is shit anyway?"

"No." She said firmly. "We're good. He doesn't like you here but that's not hurting my relationship with him."

Happy nodded. "Good."

"Yep," she said slamming the refrigerator door.

"He called Mateo 'mijo,' Rox," he huffed.