Chapter 12

While the rest of the club handled their tasks, Bishop and Coco headed out on what the hoped would be the most informative stops. They never went to Pena's office. Ever. The optics were awful and there was usually no need. That day though there was most definitely a need.

"Bishop," Pena said, her voice heavy with concern. "What are you doing here?"

Bishop and Coco charged into her office and shut the door. "You see Roxy today?"

"No," she looked from Bishop to Coco. "What's wrong?"

"She's gone," Coco said mournfully. "She say anything to you?"

Pena shook her head. "No. Not about leaving. She was looking through the recently listed houses, we were going to stop at one today at lunch."

"Houses?" Bishop asked, his glare on Coco questioningly.

Coco shrugged. "We were trying to find a place big enough for the four of us," he explained, "Rox, me, Letty and Mateo. Just made more sense."

Bishop nodded, a small smile brightening his face slightly. "That's great, Coco."

"Yeah," he huffed. "If we can find her."

"We will," Bishop said forcefully. "Antonia, does she have a work computer?"

"Uh, yeah," Pena said, turning to find the laptop Roxy used, "It's here somewhere." Spotting it in the bookshelf she handed it over to Coco with a huff. "She usually takes it during the week."

Coco didn't like that. He had a thought, a painful, gnawing thought, that she left him but he couldn't pinpoint why he felt that way.

Bishop and Pena leaned over Coco's shoulder as he opened the laptop and checked her history. As previously stated, tons of real estate listings appeared in the drop down. There were other websites too, a few local restaurants and Twitter but nothing that pointed to anything suspicious or dangerous.

Turning to the mayor again, Bishop hoped for something that would point them in the right direction. "You have any problems here? Anyone pissed off?"

Pena shook her head. "I had a tense meeting with Galindo a few weeks ago but we straightened that out."

"Friday?" Coco asked suddenly. "You let her out early after, right?"

"Uh, yeah," Pena said slightly uncertain. "I'm pretty sure that was the day. I'm sorry I can't be of more help."

Coco stormed out and Bishop gave Pena an apologetic look. "If you hear anything let me know."

"I will, you too. I hope she's okay," she said walking him to the door, "Good luck."

Angel waited outside the school while EZ jogged casually up the steps. He hit the buzzer and waved into the little camera but when he got to the office he saw the usual woman wasn't there. EZ hopes this wouldn't complicate anything, it was not the time for extra annoyances.

"I'm looking for a child, he's my nephew," EZ said, reciting the usual line for nosy classmate parents and school staff. "His name is Mateo Teller Alvarez," EZ said calmly despite how ridiculous it all sounded. "I'm just making sure he's here today. Drop off pickup miscommunication," he added nervously.

"And your name?" The woman looked him up and down, not trusting the leather on his back.

"Ezekiel Reyes," he said with a toothy smile. "I pick him up sometimes. His teacher knows me." For added security, and goodwill, he handed her his license.

"His mother called him out," the receptionist said with a frown. "She said he has chicken pox."

"Oh," EZ said with surprise.