Sirens' secret

I know: What a weak title^^

Harry's PoV

"Harry, you seem distracted," Hermione stated, holding her quill midair. Pansy remained undisturbed beside her, eyes continuing to skim the page of, personally, unreadable cursive.
"Well, I've nev- not really seen the Slytherin common room, and when I get the chance, I'm forced to study for a test that's ages away," I replied.

Hermione rolled her eyes at my statement, "Firstly, two weeks is not ages. Secondly, it's hardly any different to ours,"

"It really is, though,"
"I beg to differ,"
Then beg.

"What about the huge window into the lake? Have I missed our one for the past 6 years?"

"Harry, just study, please. It's not like you can see anything in the lake anyway," she persisted.

"Actually...this is where you're wrong," Pansy chimed in, "sure, you can occasionally see a fish or the giant squid, on the odd day, but..."
"Yes, please encourage Harry's distraction, Pansy. Go on,"

"Well, there's the mermaids,"

"Wait, you can see them from here?!" I asked.

She nodded as Hermione sighed and buried her face back in her book.
"Look," she pointed to the large window on the opposite side of the room.

The water cast an unfamiliar blue hue over the room, and distorted anyone that passed by it to a dark silhouette. In front of the glass, a figure, unrecognisable from my distance, sat cross-legged.

I looked over to Hermione for approval. She sighed in reluctance, ushering me away with the gesture of a hand.

I approached the figure by the glass but stopped, watching curiously as they dashed from their place and hid behind a close armchair. A long and slender shadow appeared against the glass; skin a murky grey.

My distance came to disadvantage but I could recognise the upset and confusion on their face as they tapped on the glass. Their skin seemed to grow darker in sorrow.
Suddenly, the figure from before jumped out, causing the mermaid to jump back in surprise. Their shoulders shook with laughter as the creature's skin and, possibly, hair glowed a bright scarlet. Their face showed reluctant anger as their hands gestured aggressively.

After a while, the figure settled back on the floor; the mermaids skin fading to a pale grey once more. I took this as a chance to stop my, slightly creepy, watching and approach them. In the blue light, I could tell that the previously shadowed figure was male. Their hair just brushing their shoulders; white-blond. It must have grown over summer.

The creature's gaze floated to me. Their eyes seemed to be swallowed up by their pupils and what I had mistaken for hair, seemed to be long, translucent tendrils that danced around their head.
As I had suspected, it was Malfoy that was sat on the ground, seeming to enthral the creature. It wouldn't be until later that I would ponder that it was also him displaying the child-like and, surprisingly, human activity of scaring them.

Grey eyes, as well as primarily black ones, watched me from the floor. They made no effort to greet me, instead going back to make hand gestures at the woman(?). Glancing back to me occasionally, she(?) gestured back to him. They were...speaking. Signing, even.