2

I listen as Tyler talks about the photoshoot with Hannah. That was when she let me do her hair while she did her makeup. Mom told her to take it down a notch which upset her.

I don't want to listen to his lies and I don't think Clay does either. We're sitting in the back because if I needed to leave mom wanted him with me.

I stand up and go out the doors, leaning against the wall. Clay makes me sit and I slide onto the ground, head in my hands.

"Why couldn't she just settle..." I whisper, barely even holding back tears at this point.

Everyone walks out and Mom comes over to me quickly, hugging me. She pulls me up and holds me as we walk to the car. Once we get inside I break.

Mom drives and lets me sit there crying. Part of me wishes my dad was here and he could hold me like he did when I was little.

When I first got adopted, I would wake up some nights screaming and he would hold me until I went back to sleep.

He was always so much better at comfort than mom was.

Mom pulls into the driveway and I get out, going into the house. I go up the steps and close my door. Mom doesn't bother me.

Jess: You ok?

Me: I'm not sure. I'm not going to school the rest of the day.

Jess: I'll come over. Omw.

I put my phone down and bury my head into the pillow. It doesn't take long for Jess to be next to me, hugging me.

"Do you want to go get something to eat?" She asks. I nod, wiping my face. She knows I don't want to be in this house.

Hannah's room is still there. All her things and pictures are still in there.

I walk down the stairs with Jess and go out the door. I get in the passenger side of her car and she plays music.

"Do you want ice cream?" She asks, looking over at me. I nod my head. We go through the drive thru and she gets me some ice cream.

"Alright talk." She puts a spoonful into her mouth and looks at me.

"I miss Hannah. And the old days before everything got so complicated." I take a glance over at her.

"I understand. Especially with everything happening. Today would be a hot chocolate kind of day."

I nod my head and put the cup in the cupholder when I finish it off.

"I'm just not ready for this stuff, Jess. Today broke me. What happens when it's my turn or his?" Jess tenses a bit and looks away.

"Say something that will get him locked away if you do." She says. I lean my head into her shoulder.

We sit like this until it's time for me to go home and then the day in hell begins.