Chapter 24

I blushed as Kino leaned over my shoulder. "I didn't ask. But um what is your reading pace really like?" I asked. "Hand me that book" he said pointing to the book for a writting assignment I had. I handed him it. He opened the book. He pushed his glasses up with his middle finger. He put his finger on the edges of the pages. He started to make the pages change rapidly. A few secinds later and he was setting the book down. "The story is about a girl who lost her family and in the end lost everyone she loves. Its a dark romantic story from the romantic times. Orgins are from america from an semi not famous writer that no one knows the name of" Kino said faster than I could process right away. He pushed his glasses up. "Thw story's detailed and complex nature throws the reader into a strange part of nature. Talking about all the evils in human nature" he continued. He stopped and sat down next to me again. He had a smirk. "I read that fast" he said. Me and Akira both were shocked beyond belief. "Are you secretly a robot?" I asked. "No. I am just extremely good at being intelligent. Except I do lack intellegence in some areas" he said. "Like love?" Akira asked assuming. "Its pretty obvious when it comes to love or friends. I am terrible with both" Kino replied. I smiled and gave the boy a hug. "Well you just made a friend" I said. He looked at me shocked. He gave the faintest smile. "I guess I did" he said. His cheeks slightly pink. Akira sighed. "So are you going to continue checking our work?" He asked. Kino nodded. "Yes of course. Pass them over" he said. We gave up our papers to him.

Kino sighed. "Your both average. Catherine did do slightly better. Must be from her slight photo graphic memory. Except it's more like hearing memory" Kino explained. "You know about that?" I asked. "Its obvious. I looked at your record from school. You never took piano lessons or singing lessons yet one day out of the blue you were flawless with it" Kino explained. He crossed his arms. "Number five. Let me teach you a simpler way" Kino said changing the subject. He started to slowly write on paper. "You don't know how to be slow do you?" I asked. His writting was overly slow. Like a kid first learning to write. Kino sighed and wrote a bit faster. A normal pace now. "Wow I did it" he said after gettign the problem done. I smiled. "You really did" I said patting his shoulder. "Are you sure your human?" Akira asked. "Yes I am. I might be very fast but I wasn't always so fast. I had to adapt if I was to live up to expectations" Kino explained. "That sounds tough" I said. "Not really" Kino replied. The waitresa came over. She was finally coming to take our order. "What can I get you guys?" She asked. Kino smiled kindly. The girl smiled and had pink cheeks. I could tell why. When Kino put on that smile. He was adorable. Everyone ordered and I was about to get my money out to pay but Kino already beat me to it. "I'll pay" he mumbled. "Where did you even get money from your like fourteen?" I asked. "Again. I am the son of a wealthy family" Kino replied. Me and Akira confused. Kino facepalmed. "Nothing. Just finish up so I can help more" he mumbled.

Well after that study session I headed home. It was pretty late so I refused to make Akira walk with me home. So Kino decided hed walk me home instead. Something about the guy told me he wasn't as mean as he made himself be. I knew deep down he really had a soft side. Even if he never showed it. Something had to have happened to make him so cold. "Kino?" I asked. "Yeah?" He replied. "Why are you so cold to people?" I asked. He tensed up. He let a sigh out and stopped walking. "We are at your apartment" he said. "Answer please" I said ignoring the apartment. "Because I can be. Now just get inside. Its getting dark" Kino said. "You will tell me one day" I said. Kino nodded. "Yeah I will" he replied. I felt a little shocked. "Your so confusing" I said. He let out a small chuckle. "Yeah sorry. But hey you'll get used to it" he said with the smallest smile again. Seeing that small smile made me smile. He really did have a great smile. I then glared. "How do you know where I live!?" I asked suspicious of him again. "Catherine. Leave it for another day okay?" he asked. He sounded so much like my brother. He even shared a similar facial expression. "Get home safe" I said dazed. "I will once your inside" he said pointing. I just followed his words. Going inside the apartment in deep thought.

I snapped out of the trance and looked shocked. "Did he just mind control me or something?" I asked. "Hey Catherine" Aketchi greeted. "That boy who was with you. You know him?" Aketchi asked. "No I don't really" I said. "Oh. Well he looked a lot like Kino Rodgrive. Heard he moved here" Aketchi said. "You know him?" I asked. "Four years ago he was all over the news. The whole world was talking about him and his family" Aketchi replied. "Wait... Why?" I asked. "Well. Supposedly his family was slaughtered in front of him. He was the only one left alive" Aketchi answered. I felt pained. a kid had to go through so much lost just like I had. But why did I feel like there was stuff missing. Stuff hidden deep down that no one knew about the boy. That's when I made it my goal to find out what really happened.