Confrontations

Can made his way to the store, allowing a couple of locals to vacate from the area before he entered the store, snatching the keys from the door before closing and locking it.

Çakal addressed him, "What do you need? Why close the door?"  Can walked around, assessing the store, then turned intently to Çakal.  His stature and facial expression stern, but restrained.  "Need to talk," is all he offered to start.  Çakal rose from his leisurely stance, to challenge.  "Who are you?  Probably someone for Hassan!"

"No- I am no one's person," Can casually explained.  "I am no one you know, and no one you need to know.  All  you need to know," turning back to face him, "is what's in your best interest," leveling him with his eyes.  Çakal looked a little deflated at that, confused by who this stranger was, what he wanted, and why.  He conveyed as much when he kept silent, but raised his arms in question.

Can went on- "This is a nice store..." Çakal nodded in agreement.  "You bought it from a family for 40,000 lira, but when they returned to buy it back- the next day- you wanted 100,000 lira!"  Çakal acted as though this was nothing, referencing free trade, lightly threatening, saying he has 'problem people' to take care of him and insinuated Can didn't know who he was dealing with.  Can shared his amazement at the 60,000 increase in a day, then added something new to the mix... 

"Oh, I know.  I know quite a bit actually.  And you keep talking about 'people' and organized crime - Talking of crime... You know you can't sell here... There is a heavy punishment, usually 3 to 6 yrs, but you've sat so many times already, it will likely be more-  another 4 to 5 yrs and a conditional sentence on top of that!"  Flabbergasted, Çakal asked, "How do you know about my conditional sentence?"

"I know so much about you. Çakal Ihsan!" That was effective. Çakal seized up... no verbal response, no physical advance. Frozen to his spot, he listened as Can continued, placing the keys into Çakal's hand.  "Take the keys and give them back to the owners, selling it back to them for the price you bought, in monthly installments with no interest, so I don't have to bother you anymore, agreed?"

Çakal silently nodded, mouth agape, thankful he avoided anything further with this man on a mission.  Satisfied, Can headed to the door, pausing to take a chocolate, tossing it back to Çakal, "And give this to the younger daughter of the grocer - she must be hungry."  He walked out, Çakal following him to the door asking again, "Really- who are you?"

"Obsessed man."  He said it more to himself than anyone, still taken aback a little at how he has been affected by this girl!

Back at the truck, he took off to the agency.  Just as he pulled away, Sanem & Leyla were walking out to head to the bus stop.  Çakal saw them and rushed to intercept them just outside their door to let them know of the new deal.  The sisters exchanged disbelieving looks, asking him what he was talking about- "What new trick is this?"  Mevkibe and Nihat, hearing the commotion, came out as well. Çakal handed Nihat the keys, saying to pay the 40,000 when they wanted, no worries, then handed the chocolate to Sanem and took his leave as quickly as possible.  Sanem was starting to feel hungry.

The family shared a moment of disbelief, Sanem suggesting that someone scared him into this.  Nihat of course stepped up to take that credit.  They celebrated briefly, then the girls parted ways with their parents so they were not late to work and said parents headed with excitement to open their store!  Leyla did pout a bit at not getting her own chocolate but Sanem reminded her of her vegetarian diet so the pout did not last long.

Back at the office, Sanem went straight in to speak with Emre Bey to let him know the pay advance wouldn't be necessary.  Emre was confused and she explained how things had worked out, allowing installment payments to be made.  He was frustrated, and wanted to push, but felt he needed to back off for a bit.  He congratulated her and tried to remind her of the dangers in letting his brother remain in control of the agency.  Sanem took pause.  "I remember what you said Emre Bey- I'll keep a watchful eye, I promise."