Seeing Red

The brothers took a swig, setting their glasses down and Emre removed his neck brace, closing his eyes to stretch his neck a bit... then took a deep breath... "The red file." Can jerked his head back, looking to the sky for a moment, then nodded, "Evet- the infamous red file."

Emre continued, "Now, please try to remember our talk last night... my relationship with Aylin, and how deluded I'd become, thinking I actually loved her." Can scoffed, "Yeah! Deluded for sure!" Emre dipped his head... he felt shame, but also genuine pain in his heart. Can recognized he was being insensitive again. "Emre- I'm sorry brother. I see it from outside, with logic only. You had real feelings for her once, I know. The heart usually wins in battles with the mind so- I understand how you got in so deep." Emre looked up to his Abi's face, "I did Can... I loved her once upon a time." Can reached over and patted his brother's knee, giving it a a squeeze at sat back in his chair. Emre shook his head a little, "I really don't know when things shifted with her. She had been this lovely, strong woman who I admired for so long. Heh- At this point, I truly don't know if she just took advantage of my enamor with her the whole time, or if she ever had real feelings for me."

Can felt empathy for his little brother, but still struggled to make the connection. "I am sorry you're going through this pain Emre... but I still don't understand what this has to do with the file?" Emre came out of his reverie. "Ah, yes. So- Aylin had convinced me to take action against you... and Baba, and break ties with the family business." Can's brow furrowed, remembering the sting of learning that his brother had felt so betrayed by his own family. Emre went on, "So, the file contained a contract..." Can leaned forward in his chair. Emre paused, picking up their drinks, handing Can his and downing his own. Can took his glass, but didn't drink. "Aligning she and I in business together with her agency." Now Can drank, standing up abruptly, swaying a moment then quickly pacing as he tried to contain the outburst he felt building. Emre sat back in his chair, relieved it was out in the open, but anticipating the inevitable tirade.

Can grappled in his mind to find words, finally just bellowing, "EMRE- " His pacing went on a couple more passes then ceased in front of Emre's chair. He glowered, conveying his anger, shock, and pain through his intense stare and body language. It was effective. Emre visibly winced as he looked up to his brother's twisted and pained expression. Emre went to speak but Can cut him off with a deliberate hissing sigh as he snatched his brother's glass and turned to the patio door. "Another I think, yes?" Not waiting for a response, Can took the glasses in to refill them, then grabbed the bottle as well, returning to the patio where he poured, drank and poured again. Emre leaned up to take his glass as Can sat back down, pinched the bridge of his nose, squeezing his eyes shut for a moment, getting control of his breath.

He moved his fingers from his nose, to his forehead, flattening his palm against it, eyes still closed- "Did you sign it brother?" Emre leaned forward more, setting his glass on the table to reach for Can's knee, "No brother! I saw that you hadn't opened the file and it hit me." Can opened his eyes, "What hit you?" Then, extending his hand from his forehead to the space between them, clenching his fist, "I'd like to right now, by the way kanka (bro)." Emre hesitated a split second, processing, then understanding. "I know Abi- go ahead man! I deserve it- really! I deserve worse!" Can gritted his teeth, squeezed both fists above his head in frustration and stifled constraint, then gave a slight roar as he grasped Emre's shoulders, shaking him. Emre clasped his hands on his brother's forearms dipping his head again, in defeat, tears threatening the threshold of his eyes. Can only shook him for a moment, then let his forehead fall to his brother's bowed head, stilling them both.

Can let go his grip and moved his hands from Emre's shoulders to the sides of his head. Can's own hot tears gathered as he panted, trying to work through the rage and disappointment. Emre's small voice stilled him, almost a wimper- "I'm so sorry Abi." Can's breath caught and he lifted his forehead from Emre. He moved a hand to his brother's knee and shifted his other to tilt Emre's head back up to face him, his heart breaking at the sight of his baby brother's tears, finally spilling over. "I believe you." Emre let out a sob as they found each other's hands in that brotherly arm wrestle grasp- "çok teşekkür ederim!" He took his big brother's hand in both of his own, raising it to kiss it, then up to touch his forehead in gratitude and respect, "şükür, Abi. (Thank God brother)" The weight and significance of the gesture was not lost on Can, but he wanted to move on as well, "Aah!" he teased, lightly slapping the top of his brother's head, forcing the release of his other hand as Emre tried to defend the play-fight. "I may still hit you though," he jeered, leaning back in his chair as Emre did the same, both a bit drained.