29. So this is how our troubles die... With thunderous applause

Seeing Hux walk into class on Monday with his face all beat up was the most satisfying thing Rey had witnessed. He had bruises on his cheekbones and cuts on his lips and nose. His eyes never drifted higher than the first couple of rows of students and his voice sounded broken. It was nearly impossible to hold that smile that was creeping on Rey's face. But then again, she didn't try to.

"Dear God! You really did kick his ass, Rey," Rose said in a low voice, hugging Rey's arm and staring at the man in question.

Rey had asked her roommate to join her on this course for multiple reasons. For example, in case Hux had the fine idea of talking to her. Or just so that she could see her accomplishment. Rey smirked.

"Are you really going to go to the Dean for this?" Rose asked.

Rey shook her head. "No… Do you really think he wouldn't tell on me if I did that? I just wanted to scare him. You know, he has something to threaten me, I have something to threaten him back."

Rose nodded. "Right. You're so right."

The class that day was probably the worst Rey had ever attended. But that was also the case for Hux. The whole time he just kept glancing at the clock and wishing he was anywhere but in that classroom. How would he ever get with Rey, now? Feeling utterly defeated, he returned to his office afterward so that he could plot what he thought would be his revenge. But his plans were interrupted by an email. An email from the University of Chalandria.

Hux almost fell off his chair.

Was this even real? How could the timing get any better than this? He needed to get away- that was the perfect escape plan. And looking at the benefits, well, he thought he could actually stay in that job. The only thing he had to consider was the fact that he could lose Rey if he moved across the country. And he did consider it. For about three seconds. Then he jumped up and went home to pack.

Tuesday morning, Hux was standing outside of the campus. Outside his new workplace. And it was huge, and old, and elegant. Filled you with a sense of achievement just by standing in front of it. Smelled like fulfillment. It was a little difficult to find the office he needed, but it didn't take him too long. Standing right in front of the door, he straightened his suit and ran his fingers through his hair. He gently touched his wounds, wishing they weren't immediately visible. He had contemplated wearing some makeup to cover them up that morning but decided it was too girly for a man like him. Ugh.

"Come on in, doctor Hux," a woman's voice was heard behind the door the moment he knocked on it.

The ginger man frowned momently. He pushed the door open. The room was flirting with light colors and state-of-the-art furniture. Right across from him there was a large desk and a young woman sitting behind it. Her hair was blonde and tied up in two small, intricate buns. She raised her eyebrows in a bored way and played with her lips, as she fixed her name on her desk. K. Ko Connix.

"Hello," Hux spoke. "Nice to meet you."

The woman started moving her chair in a semicircle and beckoned to the chair in front of her desk. "Sit down Armitage," she said dryly. "Can I call you Armitage?"

Hux gulped and moved to sit down. "I actually would rather that-"

"Good," Connix interrupted him. "Let's get this over with, shall we?" She pulled out a few papers from a drawer and placed them in front of the man. "You already know the deal. This is a seven-year contract but you can renew it in year five. Let me read the fine print for you: you cannot break this contract before the seven years. If you are ready, you sign here, here and here."