Chapter 12

Niamha looked over at Michael and saw his eyes harden. His jaw went rigid and she saw him make fists with his hand. Niamha sighed and finally spoke to Michael.

“Give me a chance to explain.”

Michael didn’t say anything. He didn’t even look at her. He sat there steaming, the wheels in his head ticking putting together the pieces to the puzzle. The way the two of them acted around each other, the looks, the tension, the awkwardness. Michael had never been this mad at anyone in his life. He abruptly stood up, and began to walk back to his car.

Niamha watched as Michael walk away from her and possibly out of her life forever. Tears began to pour out as she watched herself lose the best thing that has happened to her since her parents died. But then her pity turned into rage as she got up and stalked over to Landon where he stood watching her with that arrogant smirk he always wore. Niamha rolled up on him and yielded back about to punch him in the face. Just as she was about to come in contact with his face, Landon grabbed her wrist and his eyes turned to pure rage. Niamha tried to swing with her other arm, but he caught that one too. She was about to knee him in the groin, but once he realized that’s what she was trying to do. He warned her.

“You do what I think you’re trying to do. You will regret it.”

Niamha thought about it, then against it. She knew him well enough to keep to that warning. So she stood there throwing him daggers with her eyes. Then she finally spoke, well yelled rather.

“Why? Why do you insist to make my life a living hell?” she snatched her wrist out of his hand and pushed him in the chest.

Landon looked at her furious short frame as she repeatedly pushed him. He once again grabbed her wrist and jolted her to a stop. He looked into her eyes, all the rage gone from his and nothing more now but vulnerability and some twisted form of love.

“You don’t get it? Do you?”

Niamha looked at him bewildered. She honestly thought he took the little short bus out here, because he couldn’t have just asked her that question. “If I fucking got it I wouldn’t be in this situation.”

Landon sighed and released her wrist, but kept a wary eye out just in case she tried to hit him again. He ran his hands down his face and took a deep breath. He looked at Niamha. He was debating against himself to tell her how he felt. What that night two months ago meant to him. He was torn on the inside, but his decision was made when he heard her say plead.

“Why can’t you just leave me alone? Please?” he heard the tears in her voice before they began to fall. He stepped forward and tried to pull her into a hug, only to have her push him away. His arms fell to his side as he watched the love of his life look him with such disgust in her eyes. He felt his heart crumble inside his chest.

“Leave Me Alone Landon.”

“I can’t.” he replied quickly.

“Why?” she looked at him with anger, frustration, confusion, and fresh unshed tears.

Landon got choked up and reached out to caress her face, only to have her smack his hand away.

“I hate you.” She said to him as she began to back away from him. She turned around and walked to her car. He watched as she drove away, and whispered into the night sky.

“But I love you.”