12. The Sword

⊰ T W E L V E ⊱

⊰ T W E L V E ⊱

THE SWORD

"What is this?"

I peeked an eye open to find Yoongi standing above me with crossed arms. He was frowning as he looked at the makeshift hammock.

"I made this for Jimin. He was still sleeping in the brig and I couldn't let him stay there, so now he can sleep here instead," I explained, sitting up so I could meet his eyes. The scowl on his face only worsened when I said Jimin's name.

"You do know this is where we steer the ship, right? He's going to get in the way."

I sighed. "It was the best I could do. We don't have extra mattresses so I had to find a place where I could tie the net to make a hammock. Besides, we usually anchor at night anyways so everyone can sleep."

He pursed his lips. "What about when we don't? Since we're headed to our first destination now, we've got to stay moving to save some time. I don't want to hear his snoring while I'm stuck steering all night."

"Then I'll take the night shifts. I'd rather stay up all night than make him sleep in that disgusting dungeon," I said firmly.

"I don't understand why you care so much."

I stayed silent, knowing that a big part of the answer was that I was under Jimin's spell, or influence, as he called it. Even if I wanted to explain it to Yoongi, I couldn't, according to Jimin's command.

"I know you only really see him as a dangerous creature, but he was a human once. And he's becoming one again. The least I can do is treat him with some decency." Though it was an excuse to avoid telling him the truth, I still believed it.

I stood up from the hammock and met Yoongi's dark eyes. "So do you want me to cover the night shifts then?"

"No," he said immediately.

My brows furrowed. "Why not? Are you so concerned for my health that you don't want me losing any sleep?"

"It's not that. I mean, I do care about your health and I want you to rest, but I don't want you to be alone with Jimin. I don't trust him around you," he explained.

"Why does it matter if I'm with him or not? We already made a deal. He's not going to harm me."

Yoongi shook his head and stepped closer. "That's not what I'm worried about," he muttered while he raised his hand to cup my cheek. Butterflies swirled in my stomach from his touch.