31. Ice and Blood

⊰ T H I R T Y  O N E ⊱

⊰ T H I R T Y O N E ⊱

ICE AND BLOOD

Jimin knew when as he was backed into a corner that he had to think fast. He was too distracted trying to keep an eye on her, and Booth's men were suddenly besting him, the two pirates unrelenting in their attacks. One of their blades slashed the side of his neck, making him curse loudly as he latched his hand down to stop some of the bleeding. They pushed on, their heavy strikes bearing down and sending him further backwards. He took one more step, and just as his back pressed against the railing, his boot slid against the wet floor and flew out from under him, sending him tumbling over the edge.

"JIMIN!"

He heard her terrified scream and his heart clenched, the passing thought that he may never see her again sending a jolt through his body. He refused to go back to that watery dungeon. Not now, when he was so close.

His breath caught in his throat and with only a split second to act, he threw his hands out in front of him and mustered up every bit of energy he could, calling upon the storm to help him. He felt his veins surge and pulse with power as it coursed through him, then right before he met the water, the surface froze and he landed on a thick layer of solid ice. His body skidded along the frozen platform, and he dug his nails in to stop from sliding into the water that surrounded him.

He slowly stood up, trying to balance as a wave of dizziness hit him. He was too human, and using all this power was going to harm him if he didn't stop soon.

Jimin moved forward, halting when the ice beneath his boots cracked loudly. A hesitant step brought another threatening crack and he gulped as he looked up to the side of the ship that was only a few feet ahead. He saw the water closing in around him as the ice melted away, his power too weak to sustain it.

With a grunt, he ran and pushed off from the ice, jumping up and landing on the side of the ship where he dug his fingers into the small divots from the carvings in the wood, the tips of his boots doing the same. He scaled up slowly, his arms aching and hands shaking as they struggled to keep their grip, fighting both the weight of his body and the slickness from the rain that was still hammering down.

"Jimin!" a voice called from above him. He looked up and found Jungkook leaning over the railing, reaching a hand out toward him. Jimin climbed up a little more before taking the outstretched hand, letting Jungkook pull him over the ledge and back onto the deck.

He sighed in relief as he saw that the pirates he'd been fighting were now lying on the floor in a pool of their own blood. He leaned forward with his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath, but then shouts of terror rang out, making him and Jungkook look up.