Chapter 6 Part 1

The next day went as planned.  The staff meeting was a success, only a handful couldn't make it but Lana arranged a future meeting with them separately.  Their next stop was the farm and meeting with the family.

The farm as Lana remembered was as big and beautiful as ever.  This time she got to see the inside and meet the current tenants.  Unfortunately, they had bad news to give Lana and Cooper.  

"So sorry to have to give you this news but we don't have a choice."  Mrs. Johnson explained.

"Don't worry about it.  We do understand your situation and thank you for your time spent here.  You and your staff have kept this place going strong for many years.  We will be at a loss without you but we will survive." Cooper said comfortingly.

"In the letter, I have recommended keeping the staff with the new tenants.  They are all the best staff we have had since we moved in 15 years ago.  I will miss them and this place but we have to do this." Mrs. Johnson said wiping a tear that strayed down her face.

"We will make sure the staff continues on with the new tenants," Lana promised her.  "Your recommendation will be honored."

"This place is beautiful," Laura said as she looked around and spotted a golden brown horse in the field grazing.  "I've always wanted to ride a horse but was always afraid of them." 

"Would you like to ride one?" Diana asked, " I can saddle up Mitzy over there."

"Oh gosh no, I wouldn't want to put you through any trouble," Laura said hoping they talked her into instead.

"No trouble at all.  I was going to take her for a run when you all left." Robert stated, then turned to saddle her up. 

"How about we all go for a run, show you more of the grounds?" Diana said. "I'll get Mitch to saddle the other horses."

"Thank you, that sounds wonderful." Lana said, " to be honest, I haven't ridden either. "

After a short lesson, the five of them went for a little stroll around the rance and through a riding path on the farmland.  

"What are your plans while you are here, Lana?" Diana asked as they dismounted their horses and handed them to the stable hands.

"We have to take care of a lot of paperwork and legalities as far as the Estate goes.   Then we will sightsee." Lana told her.

"Ya, there is a lot of places I haven't seen myself in all the years I have been here,"  Cooper added.

"You have been coming here with Miss Jenkins for years," Diana recalled.

"Yes, I have and each time I come here the farm looks better all the time."  He stated with a smile.

"Why don't you move here and take over," Diane suggested.

"I don't know the first thing about running a farm." He admitted.

"You don't have to know anything but ride a horse and you know how to do that," Diane smirked, then added. "The staff is amazing, they know how to run this place without any guidance.  You can credit that to Miss Jenkins.  She was an amazing woman who knew how to treat her "FAMILY" as she would say." 

"Hmmm, I do love this place but only one problem."  He said looking toward Lana. "This farm is the both of ours."

"That's not a problem Cooper." Lana said continuing with, "you can live in the main house and when I visit or family visits we can stay in the guest house at the hotel or here. I would feel more comfortable with you here than having to trust someone new to run the farm and hope that they are just as loyal to the staff as my mother and you were Diane." 

"I wouldn't mind staying here when I come for a visit Cooper.  Laura said trying to help him make up his mind.

Cooper stepped back and lit a cigarette. " Maybe you are right, I could live here but I would need to seriously think about it and talk to my Uncle before I take it over.  How long do I have?" 

"We need to leave as soon as we can but I will give you two months rent.  We want to move everything out before the end of this month but will be back and forth to check on the farm.  We want to get it repaired and painted for the new tenants to take over but will do it from afar." 

"Oh dear," Lana said looking at Cooper. "Do you think Diane and her husband will need to do all of that before they leave?" 

"In my opinion, no, they have too much on their plate at the moment.  If we, I, take this place over, I would say no, they don't have to do anything but pack up and leave.  If not, the contract states that the property has to be restored to the way it was when they moved in." 

"Cooper, that was 15 years ago, and considering how well they kept up the place over the years, couldn't that be waived?" Lana quarried.

"Lana, we are now owners of two estates with a lot of employees and tenants who have been with us for many years.  A contract is bindable, it has to be followed or a fee to be paid by law.  If we let people away with following up on their contract then the new tenants or new employees will cause a ruckus. "

"It's ok, we expect to do what's right and already purchased the paint and ordered maintenance for repairs," Diane stated.

Lana wasn't happy with Cooper's response in front of the tenant.  He should have taken her aside and spoke to her in private.  Turning around she walked towards the car, Laura followed her.

"Lana, wait up." Laura said not too far behind her friend. "What's wrong?" 

Turning around facing her friend who seemed out of breath she started to speak when she noticed Cooper walking towards them and saw Diane waving.  Waving back she forced a smile and continued to retreat to the car. 

"We will talk later when alone," Lana whispered to her friend as they sat in the car. 

"Where to?" The driver asked.

"Back to the hotel please," Lana said with an attitude.

The ride back to the hotel was quiet except the clicking of Lauras camera.