Chapter 6 part 2

Lana noticed that they were headed to the back of the mansion as she called it and finally spoke. "Is the cottage ready?"

"Yes, it is ma'am and all of your things are already delivered there." The driver told them. "Sir, your things are still at the wing as requested." 

"Thank you," Cooper said then continued. "As I mentioned before, I have a surprise waiting for you but before that, we do need to have a little chat about before, alone, if that is ok." 

Lana knew this time would come but guessed she had to get it over with.  Her first uncomfortable moment with Cooper since they met.

"Laura,  do you mind if Cooper and I have a minute alone? " Lana asked her friend. 

"No, not at all,  I see a beautiful garden over there, I will go and explore and take pictures," Laura said walking towards the garden with her camera.

Watching her friend walk towards the garden, Lana pulled out a smoke waiting for Cooper to speak.  He too lit a cigarette and joined her on the bench just outside the beautiful cottage.

"Lana darling.  Sorry for saying what I said to you in front of those people but I just needed you to know that we can't treat anyone any different in this line of business.  They have a contract just like you do with your daughter and no matter how long or how diligent they are they have to abide by the contract.

"I guess you are right. " She said bowing her head in thought.  " I just thought that since they already put a lot of money into improving it over the years that all they would have to do is clean it and leave it up to the next tenants to put their own twist to it.  All I am saying is, if they have to put the place back to the way it was when they first moved in, then it will be worse than it is now and their money spent on paint will be wasted since the new tenants may end up repainting to their own liking." 

"I know what you are saying but we can't break the contract or they would pay a fee,"  Cooper repeated.

"Cooper, for obvious reasons, they have to leave and have no choice as she stated.  The last thing on their mind right now is painting the Ranch.  They have a lot of business to deal with and not waste time painting."

"Lana, leave it alone will you please," he said getting a little aggravated with Lana the more they spoke, she wouldn't quit.

"Fine, have it your way.  The Estate is also mine and I have a say in it.  I say, waive the contract and let them finish their packing and move on.  I don't want to fight and I don't want to continue this conversation badly."  Lana snapped followed by a calm last word. " Let's come to an agreement and paint it ourselves with what they have there. Please!!!!"

"Let's sleep on it.  We all had a long day and we are tired." He said with a smile. " Now, let's go in the cottage and see what your surprise is."

"Ok, we have to go find Laura now, she is probably lost in the garden," Lana said smiling with the thought.

Lana was very curious about what her surprise is, she couldn't think of what it could be.

"There you are," Lana said as she saw her come out of a path off the garden.

"Oh my God, Lana, this place is absolutely beautiful.  I could stay here forever." Laura stated with the widest smile. "Thank you, thank you, thank you."

Cooper just watched the girls as he started towards the door to the cottage.  "Are you girls ready?" He finally asked as he broke the girls out of a hug.

"We are" both girls answered in unison looking at each other with a smile.

"Here we go,"  Lana said, nervous. This was her mother's last place of residence.  She didn't know what to expect.  

"Wow, this is huge.  I thought it looked big on the outside but it is even bigger inside." Laura said in awe.

Lana was also in awe, it was her first time being there as well.

The first thing she saw when she walked in was her surprise.  

"OMG. " Lana said with tears welling in her eyes. " I can't believe it.  Ian, what are you doing here?  How did you even get here and why are you here?"

"Mom, aren't you happy to see me?" Her son said with a grin. 

"Of course I am happy but confused."  She said hugging her son noticing a thumbs-up between the three who schemed this great surprise.

"Surprise!!!" Cooper and Laura said in unison.

"You were in on this too Laura?" Lana said pointing a finger at her best friend.

"Of course, how else  did Cooper get a hold of Ian?" Laura said happily that the surprise worked.

"OMG.  Still can't believe it.  How did you get here and so fast?"

"Ok, let me explain, Lana." Cooper jumped in. "But first let me show you around."

"This isn't' a cottage, this is a small mansion. " Lana said.  "It doesn't look this big from the window of the Mansion."

"I agree," Laura said.

"Mom, this is all yours?" Ian asked in a very astonished expression.

"No, Ian.  All of this belongs to Cooper and me."  She said still touring the cottage until she noticed a picture on the wall.

"Cooper, is this my mother?" Lana asked steering at the photo the size of a big poster.

"Yes, Lana.  It is.  And yes, the baby is you."  He said smiling at the expression on Lana's face.

"Mom, what do you mean, your mom?" Ian asked. " That doesn't look like Grandma.

"You haven't told him everything?" Lana asked looking sternly at Cooper then at Laura.

"Don't look at me, " Laura said. "This was all Coopers doing, all I did was tell him where to contact him."

"Let's go back to the family room.  The fireplace is stoked with wood and burning beautifully.  There is a bottle of chilled wine sitting there waiting for us.  There we can talk and fill everyone in." Cooper said happily with his decision to bring her son here.

Everyone sat comfortably in front of the fire with their glass of wine when Laura spoke up. "Your mother had good taste."