One Time Thing

As the night was coming to an end, Charlie and KC remained at the diner, not really knowing when to stop talking. Charlie was going to head back when his mother kicked him out and when he and KC would head back to the dorms together. Fulton and Charlotte walked around outside as they headed back to the dorm building. The sun was gone and it was getting colder out by the minute. 

"Wait, so, cheerleading can be as dangerous as hockey?" Charlie asked.

KC nodded. "Yes. You should see how many girls get injured."

"Wow." He said, sitting back in his seat. "That's so weird. I thought you girls just danced around with pompoms."

"We do more than that."

"Bet you do." 

Not many people walked around the streets of Minneapolis as most were heading in for the evening and there were the few who were heading out for the night. Charlotte walked shorter than Fulton, which did not surprise her at all, and they were peacefully quiet. Until, Fulton noticed her rubbing her arms a few times within the span of five minutes. He pulled his green army jacket off and set it around her shoulders.

She looked over at him. "A-are you sure?" She stuttered, her teeth chattering.

He nodded. "Yeah, I'm hot, anyway."

She nodded, grabbing the side of the jacket as she pulled it closed with the other side, where the buttons were. She held the jacket tightly around herself as she was cold. "Fulton, have ever thought about anything other than hockey? Like what you would do after school?"

He thought about it long and hard, not really having a clear answer,but he had an answer for one thing. "I don't know what I'll do after school. But what I do know is that hockey won't be  something I really want to do after school."

"Why not?"

He shrugged. "I guess it's because it was only meant to be a one time thing. You know?" He looked over at her and she shook her head, not understanding. "Like, back in Peewees I thought it'd be fun to try. I thought that was it after that. But then, we were chosen to go to the Games and man, that was fun. Then I knew we were done, right, because most are after a big shot like that. Now, we're here."

"You guys made it far. Maybe you didn't think that you were going to keep playing, but you are. I think you're a really good hockey player. I don't like when any of you fall and takes hits or give the hits, but that's the game."

"Yeah..." He trailed, bringing a hand to the back of his neck. "That's sort of my job."

"I know. I just personally never liked it. Not even for football, or any sport, actually." He laughs. "Why you laughing?" She asked, looking up at him and he continued to laugh.

"I don't know. I just find it cute how you're worried about players taking hits when that's their job." He shrugged.

It grew quiet between the two as they neared the school. Arriving to the dorm building, they stopped in front of one another. The building was large. Every second floor was a different. First floor was showers  in the middle of the hall and laundry rooms on either end. Second floor was boys. Third was girls and so on and so forth, but there were different stairs. On one side was the boys' stairs and corridor, while the other was the girls'.

"Um, I had a really good time, Fulton. It went differently than I thought, but I enjoyed myself. Thank you."

He nodded, looking at her as she looked at him. There was no one else and Charlie and KC were just leaving the diner together. "I had good time, too." He spoke. "Maybe we could do something again sometime." He asked shyly, since before it was Charlie who asked.

She thought and then nodded. "Sure, I'd like that."

He smiled. "Really?"

"Yes...Well, I should be going now. Have a good night."

"You too."

She smiled and left down the hall, then turned and headed upstairs. She really felt like she and Fulton had somethings in common. They may not do the same sports, but the both had issues in which they could relate and help the other out. They both didn't want to do their sport after school and they both enjoyed each other's company. Fulton was definitely liking her a lot more than he did and he was glad that it went so well and that he didn't embarrass himself. Meanwhile, Charlotte grew to like Fulton, but couldn't figure out which like it was. Was it the love like or the friend like?