Deal with It

Johnny was leaning against the wall in the corner of the living room making small talk with Katrina. It wouldn't be anything so unusual, they were just chatting, but Yuta felt something burn in his heart, like a pang of irritation and perhaps insecurity due to the way the girl smiled to the tallest. They seemed to be enjoying themselves, and Yuta did not feel like showing any joy in seeing the girl laughing in a relaxed way at Johnny. He clenched his fists and just laughed, disguising what he was feeling only to keep Sicheng away from having that sweet taste of being right. Yet he was going to do nothing about it, Yuta didn't want to end the party's harmony even more that everyone seemed to be excited and amused; he remained seated where he was, pretending that nothing was happening, especially in his heart.

"You do not have to pretend you're not jealous" Winwin laughed, bringing some chips to his mouth.

"I'm not jealous, stop it" he brusquely snuggled up on the couch, avoiding looking Katrina's direction.

"Of course, I just like to tease you, yeah sure" he rolled his eyes still chewing.

"There's no reason for me to be jealous. Look, they're just chatting, what's the big deal?" still a little sullen, he reached into the bag of chips.

"So, you don't deny that you like her?"

"I like her, but not like that."

"Like what?"

"The way that you're thinking right now, you know. Winwin, don't mess with my head."

"If Johnny starts dating her, will you like it?"

"What's that now?"

"Will you like to see them two together?" he stared at his older friend beside him, persisting in the question.

"No."

That when he froze at the quick response that escaped his lips and stared at Winwin with wide eyes.

"Now there's no turning back, don't try to deny it."

"You know, for now I'll just say I don't know" he sighed, glancing briefly at Katrina.

"Don't worry, she seems to be nice" Winwin continued "If you mean it, she'll like you too."

"To tell you the truth, I don't think she cares about relationships."

Winwin didn't know, but Yuta was already certain that Katrina was too busy with Charlotte and, perhaps, with that other mysterious face of the previous days.

"Your insight will not get you anywhere, take action. If you don't know, just ask her."

"Let's say you're liking a girl, but she avoids telling you about her personal life, as well as seeming to be involved with someone else. What would you do?"

"Ignoring the fact that I've never been in love before, well I'd tell her the truth. If that means confessing, then so be it."

"What if she rejects you?"

"So, you're worried about that?"

"Being turned down can be painful, you know?" he laughed "But that's not the problem, maybe it is a bit, but it would be inevitable anyway."

"If you don't try because of the fear of failing, nothing will ever work out in your life. Just because one didn't want you, doesn't mean no one will" stared at Yuta from head to toe with a disapproval look "Even you making me as a loving counselor? What happened to the cocky Yuta?"

"I don't know, maybe dying or already dead" he folded his arms.

"Oh, the drama..." he sighed.

As much as Yuta tried, nervousness and anger continued to bother his heart just to see that Katrina was really comfortable talking to Johnny. "She doesn't smile like that when she's with me", "why is she looking at him like that?" — his mind was filled with such thoughts. But he remained calm in the outside focusing on the potato chips Winwin was eating.