Dismal - Part II

That day was getting colder than expected. Three days had passed since Yuta had argued with Ayumi and the girl gave no sign of life. His mailbox was empty and no phone call had been made, even his mother was no longer calling him. Yuta started to get a bad feeling about this lull, so he decided to send a message to Ayumi as soon as the day's class was over, just to make sure everything was okay and then proceed to work. Not only that, Katrina was also a little strange in Yuta's eyes, and he certainly knew it wasn't something in his head, especially every time he approached to talk to her, her lips curled up in a huge smile and Johnny looked at them with funny faces. It wasn't like he didn't like to see her smiling, just didn't want to jump to conclusions and end up like a few days ago, locked in his apartment wanting to die. In this last thought he would rethink, washing a carpet in extreme rot costs a lot of money.

He spent the whole morning of classes thinking about these matters and even found himself longing for a life like Sicheng's, relaxed and uncomplicated, the boy seemed to know how to solve any problem that arose in front of him, besides not falling in love easily. He sighed once more sitting on the seat of his Audi until his phone vibrated. Someone was calling him.

"Ayumi?"

She had been faster than him, Yuta felt strange that she read his thoughts the instant he would send her a message.

"Hi, Yuta."

"Are you alright? Did something happen?"

"I'm fine" she was being cold in all her answers "Nothing happened, I just called because I need to talk to you, but it isn't a matter to talk like this."

"Ok..."

"Can you come here after work?"

"Sure..."

"Okay, then, see you later" and quickly she disconnected the call before Yuta could change his mind.

Now his mind was taken on the possible issues the girl might want to address with him. Maybe the real reason for her coming to Korea, or tell him something his parents have done, in this last one he wouldn't be surprised. Yuta had no idea what Ayumi was going to do, he only wished it was not something more stressful, or he really would flip out.

On the other hand, Katrina and Johnny looked worried because of Yuta. He seemed distant and didn't say much the whole morning, his eyes only wandered without a certain course as if his mind were somewhere else. For Johnny, that wasn't at all common in Nakamoto, especially since he was always a talkative person and a distributor of contagious smiles. They knew something was wrong, and they also knew very well why.

The minutes passed slowly, the more Yuta became distracted by helping the teachers, the less time passed by. It was as if space and time wanted to keep him from having that conversation with Ayumi, and maybe it would be much better if he didn't find her.

Finally, the night fell and with a bad feeling urging inside, the japanese boy followed to the hotel as his childhood friend had asked him to. Ayumi waited a few seconds in the hall until he sent a message and now both were ready to face each other.

"Were you busy?" she approached.

"There was a little traffic."

Their presence was becoming uncomfortable.

"Can we talk inside your car?" she pointed to the exit.

"Alright, then let's go..."

"It's something private, it would not be good if other people listened."

Soon they were already inside the silver Audi, with Yuta staring at her and the girl taking courage to tell him the reason why she called him.

"You're in love with Katrina, aren't you?"

Yuta would not deny it; he was surprised by the sudden question.

"That's what you wanted to talk about?"

"Answer my question... Please."

Her eyes were serious. It took a few moments for the other to take the courage to respond.

"Yes, I am."

"Yes, you say... Yeah, that's what I thought" she pressed her fingers against the strap of her purse "Can you really love her with all those secrets?"

"Ayumi... What's that now?" Yuta felt a certain desperation "What did you read in my phone?"

"Taejin. You must have seen him and Katrina together, haven't you?"

"If you want to say something, just say it already...!" Yuta pressed his hands on his thighs.

"He's a social worker."

Yuta's eyes widened, but he was somewhat relieved to know that Katrina's meetings with the man was because of Charlotte. Yet, how did Ayumi knew about it?

"That girl is a single mother; do you know what it will entail for your family name if you stay with her?"

"Ayumi this has nothing to do with you..."

"Are you willing to lose everything because of a girl?" she stared at him with pure anger in her eyes "You don't care about your parents' feelings? With my feelings...?"

"Ayumi, you are intertwining one thing in another. My parents promised to let me live independently, without any penny of their money, the only thing left of my family in my life is my last name!" he was looking at her with the same intensity, but he didn't feel angry "Why do you keep on butting in my life?!"

"Because I love you!" she used all the strength in her heart to scream those words.

"Ayumi..." he was interrupted.

"I'm not going to let you destroy your life this way because of an orphan girl who's still a single mother!"

"What right do you think you have to talk about her like that?"

They ended up screaming at each other again.

"I already made my decision!"

"It's my life, you don't have to make any decisions about it!"

"It would be a shame if everyone discovered the truth..."

Yuta's blood froze and he knew he would get pale.

"You wouldn't do that..."

"What would happen if everyone in college found out that beautiful Katrina holds such a dark secret..."

Her gaze was cold and passed a message of danger to him.

"You know how women who get pregnant before marriage are treated around here, don't you?"

"That's a low trick... Don't do this..."

Yuta held his breath as Ayumi finished.

"You can let her be happy by keeping everything a secret, or... Destroy her life by being selfish enough to only think about your feelings."

"Are you really going to threaten me...?"

His heart ached and the passing anger he felt was turning into hate.

"You know what I want" she opened the car door "I'll give you a week. I won't interfere in your personal life by then. The choice is yours to make. If the answer is no, the truth will be revealed and Katrina will hate you for the rest of her life."

Ayumi closed the door without letting the other reply and went back to the hotel.

Silence returned to Nakamoto's car. Anyone would say that he made no noise as he followed the road to Katrina's house, but his heart was crying so loud and for Yuta there was no more deafening sound than that pain.