Chapter Three: It's Ann-Drew

"Mabel Scott," Sophie whispered (which seemed like the thousandth time), laying down on her bed. The day before, Sophie had met a peculiar girl named Mabel Scott. Apparently, she knew Keefe and herself. Mabel promised that she would explain everything today, at . . .

"Aah!" Sophie said. "I need to leave in five minutes!" Sophie literally jumped out of her bed, threw on a pair of black leggings with socks and a light grey sweatshirt.

She raced down to the kitchen for a quick breakfast, then realized that her parents didn't know about Mabel. Sophie walked into the kitchen to find . . . no one?

"Mom?" Sophie said. "Dad?" No response. Sophie needed to leave, though. She searched for a piece of paper and pen then scribbled a note saying "GOING OUT FOR A BIT. WILL BE BACK. 一 SOPHIE." Sophie left the note on the table and ran out of the house.

Once Sophie got outside, she slowed her run to a walk."

So Mabel wants to meet ー" Sophie got interrupted by someone magically appearing in the LeapMaster. Those dark brown eyes were recognized immediately. No one else has brown eyes other than Sophie and Mabel.

"Mabel?" Sophie asked. "What are you doing here?" Mabel smacked the center of her forehead with the palm of her hand.

"You did ask to meet here, did you not?" Sophie squinted her eyes, trying to think of her ever saying that. However, after a few moments, she did recall herself saying, "Meet at my place at nine o'clock, then."

"Sorry 'bout that," Sophie apologized as soon as she realized her misunderstanding. Mabel sighed.

"It's fine, I guess. Let's just find somewhere to chat. Privately. No one can know what you will know." Sophie nodded and pointed towards her house.

"No one's home currently; we can go to my room." Mabel agreed and they both walked into the home.

As soon as they reached Sophie's room, Sophie went to sit on her bed. Mabel took a chair from the corner and slid it in front of the bed.

"So, Sophie, what would you like to know?" Sophie had so many questions, so she attempted to sum as many as she could into a few short questions.

"Who are you?" Sophie asked. "What do you mean?" Mabel responded. "I'm Mabel Scott."

"No, I mean, who are you?" Sophie pressed.

"My name is Mabel Ann-Drew Scott, and Iー"

"Andrew?" Sophie interrupted. Mabel sighed, and said, "No. It's Ann-Drew. Two separate words. Ann, then Drew. Ann-Drew. You know what: whatever; it doesn't matter. Anyways, you may be wondering how I know you, and your friend, Keefe. It's rather a long story, so are you ready?" Sophie nodded.

"I was born in a place we both know as Earth. You were from there, and so was I. Actually, we went to the same school. I was in your class. Remember me, that girl with the super dark hair and was always caught with a book?" Mabel paused, waiting for Sophie to recognize her features. Sophie gasped.

"That was you?" Sophie finally remembered Mabel. She always had her nose in a book for all she knew. Sophie caught a glance at the cover of her book once. Oddly enough, she remembered what it was called. She was pretty certain that Mabel's book was called "Scarlet and Ivy: The Lost Twin."

"Yes, that was me," Mabel answered. "Ready to continue?"

"Yeah," Sophie said.

"So," Mabel started to explain, "I was only put in your class to watch over you. I was asked by my mother to make sure you made it through school all right. She knows you, and your family. She wouldn't tell me any reasons why no matter how hard I begged. All she said was 'It has to do with her biological parents.' And no"ー she said when Sophie's face lit up ー"she wouldn't give me any hints about who they are. She believes you haven't even met them yet."

Sophie gaped at Mabel, glad to be filled with so much information. She was going to say something to Mabel until the door burst open. "Dad!" Sophie cried. Grady looked at Sophie, his face full of worry, then noticed Mabel. If he wondered about her, he didn't show it.

"Sophie," he said, "have you seen Dex?"

"Dex?" Sophie asked. "What do you meー"

"WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW HIM?" Grady pressed. His face was red and he looked like he had just run a marathon.

"Dad, what's wrong?" Sophie asked.

"Where's Dex?!" Grady sighed, then walked over and sat beside Sophie on her bed. "This morning, we were at Juline's place. That's why you couldn't find us. We were there because . . ."

"Because of what, Dad?" Grady exhaled, then said, "Dex is gone."

Scarlet and Ivy: The Lost Twin is actually a book! Go check it out. It's a great book, and one of my favorites!