Chapter Twelve: Shopping Trip (Part Two)

Sophie didn't think anyone could hear her muffled screams as the man carried her away. Sophie had received a letter from Calla through her dream, and she gave Sophie coordinates to meet at Foxfire at noon. When Sophie arrived, she found a table with two chairs, and on the table was a list of questions to ask Sophie. But after Sophie had read them, a man appeared and told Sophie that he was a "distraction." Whatever that meant. 

Now Sophie was stuck in a brown bag, being taken away to her fate. She tried to adjust herself in the bag; there was no point of her getting out, so she might as well make herself comfortable. As Sophie staggered her position in the bag, she found something that looked like Iggy mucus, which made her gag. 

After some time in the bag, the man carrying her set her down. He must've thought she was sleeping because he was talking to a woman about the information that seemed Top Secret. 

"We should put her with the boy," the woman said.

"But they might know each other," the man answered harshly. 

"True, but we don't have many cells, so we need to improvise."

The man sighed. "Ugh, whatever. The girl is here in the bag."

"Uh, I can see that."

"Good for you."

"I'll to give Miss M a report of the news," The woman said before she walked off, the sound of her heels decreasing with each step. 

It seemed like the man and the woman disliked each other very much, Sophie thought. Suddenly, Sophie could feel the man's burly hands dig into the bag again as he picked it up. The bag swayed from side to side until he stopped abruptly and dropped her on the floor.

Ouch. 

"Let's open this up. I gotta get the next kid." 

Oh no. Sophie tried slowing her breathing and shut her eyes just in time. The man took Sophie and picked her like a baby, and tried shaking the bag off her waist. After a couple of twists, the bag eventually fell off. 

"Let's take her to her cell. She can go with the boy." Cell? Sophie thought about how horrid the sight of her "cell" would be. But at least she'd be with someone, and not alone. 

The man slung Sophie over his shoulder as if she were a sack of potatoes. Then it hit her. Once she was freed from the grasp of this man, she could use her Imparter! I'm so smart, Sophie thought, proud of her solution. 

As if on cue, the man reached toward Sophie's pocket and pulled out the Imparter.

"Gotta make sure she has nothing on herwhat is this?" 

Drat. 

"Well, we're here," the man added, seeming like into a phone or something. 

"Oh, bravo, Shon. Would you like a gold star or something?" The woman's voice answered somewhat mockingly. 

"Whatever, Mallory"

"You know that's not my name!"

"Ugh, Marlee." 

"That's better."

It seems like Shon likes to tease Marlee for some reason.

"See ya later," Shon said before he pressed a button which made a loud and very annoying beeping noise. "Time to deal with this tool," Sean said, setting Sophie against a sharp rock.

Tool?! Did he just call me a 'tool'?!?!?! I'll show him who's a tool! Sophie was actually immensely hurt by the name. It's very rude to call someone a tool. A tool is an object that does nothing but work.

Oh, great. 

Once Sophie heard Sean's footsteps quiet down, she was certain it was just her and her secret roommate. Sophie opened one eye to see her surroundings. Once she knew she could open the second eye, she did. 

Sophie heard a quiet shuffling noise. Quiet, but it was still there. She looked over to where the noise was coming from. There was a boy, about her age, maybe a little younger than her, and he was wearing a navy cloak with black joggers. 

"Wait . . ." Sophie said, unsure of what to think at the moment. The boy turned around and looked at Sophie, eyes filled with terror. Not long after, he just smiled, showing off his dimples.

"Dex!" 

Okay, I know some people may get upset because I spelled it as Shon. Here is my reason's why that is: 1) Shawn just doesn't seem right. Why don't you pronounce the 'w'? Shawyn is how I'd pronounce it. 2) I originally had it spelled as 'Sean', but then I was like, "What if people pronounce it as 'Seen'? I must change it!" 3) Shaun just looks weird. So yeah, that's why it's spelled differently. (And I named Marlee after my favorite character in The Selection) By the way, I have a question: My friend, Hillary and I, well, we had a debate. How do you pronounce Keefe's last name? Sen-Kin or Sense-in? 

SilverCat42