Chapter Eighteen: New Perspective

"What were you thinking?" Boss bellowed. "That was by far the stupidest decision you've ever made!"

"I-I'm sorry," Tam stuttered. "I don't know what I was thinking. She was just so nosy, and I didn't know what to say!"

"Okay, I'm not mad at you for lying. I'm just mad at the lie you made. Godfather? Like, what the heck, Tom?"

"Tam."

Boss shrugged and strutted over to the table they had used earlier for interrogation and took the same white porcelain mug from before. But instead of drinking it, he thrust it against the stone wall. It smashed and fractured into millions of tiny pieces. 

"What was that for?" Linh practically shouted, her hand clamped over her mouth. 

"Just getting my anger out," Boss replied while ordering Aspen to clean up the mess. 

"When do you plan on telling them?" Tam asked, reluctantly stepping closer. "It's only a matter of time until they find out, so you could just tell them now一"

"You don't understand!" Boss snapped. "There's something else I need to tell you 一 and Linh. I'm giving you a promotion, which means there is new information for you to know. You are all aware that I'm not actually your boss?"

"What?" Linh gasped. "But that's what you told us!"

"Ah, dear, dear Linh."

"Ew, you creep."

"And I'm not actually who you think I am. Allow me to explain."

"You better," Tam muttered.

"Do you remember when I and two others attempted to storm Foxfire?"

Tam and Linh nodded in unison. 

"Wasn't there a brown-eyed one?"

"Correct. There's something she doesn't know about 一 and we don't plan on telling her. She and her sister Zoe broke into Foxfire with me and tried to look for the Key of Knowledge. No luck, though."

"Key of Knowledge?" Linh asked. 

"I shall explain, dear, dear, Linh."

"Please stop that. It's so weird." Linh pleaded.

"Fine."

"Fine."

"You were saying?" Tam reminded Boss. "Key of Knowledge?"

Boss held up his hand, signalling Tam to stop talking. "I remember what I was talking about, Mr. Song. And there is another topic I'd like to cover first.

"Mabel and Zoe have always been told that their father is dead. Or so they thought . . ."

"What are you saying?" Tam questioned. 

"Their dad is not dead."

"I think that's enough information for now," Boss said, dusting off dirt from his pants and heading for the door. 

"Hey!" Linh shouted, grabbing his arm. "You can't do that to us! You can't just tell us that Mabel's dad is still alive and just leave!"

"Fine," Boss said, a smirk slowly creeping up his face. "All knowledge comes with a price, though, dear, dear, Linh."

Linh instantly tightened her grip on Boss's hand. He even winced a little. 

"I think that's already a quote," Tam said, sauntering over to join them. "Have you heard it? 'All magic comes with a price?'"

"Tam, let me make my own quote!" Boss yelled. He took a couple of deep breaths before continuing. "Okay, I think you two can be trusted, right?" He finished it off with a deadly glare. 

"But not now. I'll hold a meeting with everyone tomorrow afternoon. I'll reveal it then."

"What about Sophie and Dex?" Tam asked. "What will they do?"

Boss scratched his head continuously. "We'll set up some classes for them, by Granite."

Tam and Linh nodded before excusing themselves to their rooms.

Boss sighed. "If only they knew . . ."

"All magic comes with a price," Rumpelstiltskin, Once Upon a Time