"Guilty"

3 weeks later....

Jason tried sliding the metal cuffs around on his wrist to prevent them from digging in any tighter

Jason tried sliding the metal cuffs around on his wrist to prevent them from digging in any tighter. He'd been sitting in this court room for hours, listening to testimonies of people he's hurt, friend's of people he's hurt, family of people he's hurt. He knew he was going to jail, so why couldn't they just skip this whole process? Why make him go through this painful reminder of the life he lived before, the life he was forced into as a teenager.

"— all i could remember was the cold stare in his eyes. He looked at my sister, looked at me, and without breaking contact... pulled the trigger."

"— My son didn't deserve to have his life taken away that young. He just got his acceptance letter into college, he was so excited. To thing that an innocent teenage mistake resulted in... in..." The older woman dipped her head, sobbing.

Kennedy couldn't believe the things she was hearing. It was like she didn't know who they were talking about. He couldn't have done all of the things they're saying... Some of it made Kennedy want to vomit in her seat. She looked at Jason, who could barely look these people in the face. He was tense, regretful, mournful, even scared of his past. The things he had done, the things he had witnessed, will forever be in his history. What kind of father leaves a legacy like that for his daughter? Of course... he didn't know the events that would unfold later on, but surely he had to have thought about the future? Was he going to just be on the run his entire life? Was he always going to watch his back?

The trial lasted about 3 hours, as the prosecution had several witnesses against him. The Jury had been sent off to deliberate, but came back after only 10 minutes. Obviously this was a fake trial, but necessary to hide the fact that a deal was made.

"Please rise Mr. McCann."

Jason stood up reluctantly, glancing at Kennedy who was sitting behind the banister.

"I have to say, it's long passed due having you here under these circumstances and with this amount of evidence against you." The judge spoke with a grin.

Jason stood there, dreading the end of this trial. He'd be gone for 3 years. Missing the baby's birth, first steps, first words, first laugh... a lump in his throat grew the more he thought.

"Has the Jury reached a verdict?"

One member of the Jury stood up, and the officer in the court came over and grabbed the envelope, handing it to the judge. He glanced at it, and nodded.

"The court finds the defendant, Jason McCann, guilty of all charges and here by sentence you to serve out the rest of your time at Rockfelle Maximum Security Prison, without the possibility of early parole."

Jason's heart pounded, he never thought he'd hear his name and the word guilty in the same sentence. Even though he would only serve 3 of those years, the thought of being in prison haunted him. There may be a lot of enemies on the outside, but word that he'a being locked up will spread like wildfire. The moment he steps foot off the bus, there's a bounty on his head. No favoritism from the guards, no protection... just him, and the countless inmates that want him dead.

Kennedy's eyes started to water, as she rubbed her small baby bump. "It's okay little one.... daddy will be back soon. He has to be..."

The officer walked over to Jason, grabbing him by cuffs and preparing to walk him to holding.

"This court is adjourned." The judge slammed the mallet down.

Jason looked over at Kennedy for what seemed like the last time. Tears rolled down her cheeks as the guard grabbed his arms and led him towards the door.

"I love you both" He mouthed, smiling slightly.

Kennedy sobbed, "we love you too"

Jason was taken out of the courtroom and led to the prisoner transport along with other future inmates. All he could think about was how Kennedy and the baby were going to be without him. Probably just fine, and part of him hated that thought. He wanted nothing more than to be wanted, needed... missed.

He looked back over his shoulder subconsciously to check for Kennedy, but of course she was not there. The gaurs shoved him on the bus, and he made his way to the back where there was a locked gate.

"Great. A cage."

"Yeah, fit for an animal." The guard spat as he locked the gate behind him.

Kennedy still hadn't left her seat. Overcome with guilt and worry, she buried her face in Tiffs shoulder.

"I'm so sorry girl... i can't imagine what you're feeling..." she tried to comfort her, but with no luck.

All that was on her mind was Jason. Would he even make it one day in that jail? One hour? The amount of people in there that likely want him dead was unfathomable. He'll be gone for 3 years. The first 3 years of their child's life. What was she supposed to tell her child about him? How could she do that to her own?

Unfortunately, thats how it would remain.

Days went by.

Then weeks.

Months.

Years.

Both of their minds consumed by the thought of the others safety, and the thought of seeing each other again. They had been through so much in such a short amount of time...

This couldn't have been the end of their story, could it?

—————————
Hey everyone, Sierra here.
After years... this story, my first story, is finally finished. It's definitely rough, and a lot of my original readers didn't make it to the end... but for those that finish, thank you so much. ❤️ please comment your thoughts. There may be another story, but likely that will take a while. If u would like more please check out my other story Dangers Rival!

Love you all! <3