Chapter 4: Cliffiside Daydreams

Song Selection: Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds

It'd be a surprise for many to hear that Michael, in fact, never called. Not that I really expected him to, but- but I did have a glimmer of hope. Honestly, how could you not?

I went on with my days as I already did before, still trying to forget about a guy that might call for a dinner he was so eager to ask me out to in the moment. I knew I wasn't as special as he claimed he thought I was, just another number for him to keep around as a prize.

At this point I was already training the interns the hospital had given me to be in charge of two months back and was even applying for a new job way out of the country. In Paris, France to be exact. I've always had my heart set on moving there and they opened up a new Children's hospital so fingers crossed.

However right now, my mind was focused on tying back up a ruptured aorta that they sent up from the ER. I heard the door open and Jodie Mark, one of my interns, came in to only stand by the anesthesiologist waiting for me nervously. Continuing on with my suturing, I was unbothered on whatever message I had gotten on my phone and more focused on the intricate suturing.

Jodie handles any of my phone calls and takes my messages from my office to me. Interns can basically be your personal assistants if you use them right.

"Who is it?" I asked finally, still focused on the heart pumping in front of me.

"Um, it's Michael Fox, Dr. Hall. He says it's important," Jodie answered casually, yet the mention of it alone caused for me to want to work irrationally. I wanted to stop working altogether and run to the phone, but soon allowed myself to regain my focus again.

Don't let it interfere.

I kept working on quickly and sharply. "Tell him I'll call back in 10 minutes; I promise. Those exact words Dr. Mark."

I heard the door shut back up and took a deep breath. "TIMER!" I yelled out in the O.R. People turned heads, confused on what was happening, but someone set the timer for 10 minutes and I shifted my position quickly.

Show them what you got Caitlin.

***

"Dr.Hall that was unbelievable! I've never seen anyone repair an aorta that quickly!" Jodie complimented.

"Yeah I know, I'm a fucking god, now give me the phone and I'll let you scrub in for a month," I told her. She handed me the the portable phone and ran off, leaving me to pick it up quickly.

"Mr. Fox! My oh my, it's been awhile," I said, leaning on the wall of the scrub room.

"Caitlin Hall! Nice to hear that voice of yours again," Michael said on the other line.

God, I could practically taste that Canadian accent.

"It's only been two months! Why'd you bother to call?"

"I want to take you out- Right now actually," He said confidently. I laughed on the other end, looking out ahead of me surprised.

I was of course going to say yes at this point, but let myself lead him on. Can't let him get off that easily now can I?

"What if I don't want to see you?" I asked, folding my arms with a small smirk and started walking to get out of my scrubs.

"Then I guess I shouldn't have come all the way down here," I heard his voice close behind me. I turned around to see him standing by the elevators with a smug smile. I shook my head in disbelief and hung up to walk over to him.