Chapter 7: Accidents happen

Brushing off my coat I nodded over to the nurses, having them hand me the quick paperwork I needed to fill out before moving onto anything else. "Dr. Hall! Dr. Hall!" Jodie came running over to me in a fit, her face showing how distraught she seemed to be. I only looked up from my chart carefully and turned over to her, unphased by her frantic behavior.

"Traumas?" She nodded, fixing her now tossed hair as she stood in front of me expectantly. "Well then get your ass over there and help out with me!" I was helping out in the E.R. for a couple of weeks and I took Jodie along with me when I was asked to do so.

She was the only one of my interns who was actually capable of doing something.

I followed alongside her to dress myself in the gowns, seeing her eyeing me to try and make a quick conversation. "So how are you and Mr.Fox? Been seeing you with him in the hospital a lot lately," Jodie asked, referring to the times he's come over for lunch while I've been working.

Ah, managing having a famous Hollywood boyfriend and your work. Nice job there, Caitlin.

"Why don't you stop worrying about my love life and more about saving lives," I told her and pushed open the doors to meet the ambulance outside.

The EMTs rushed out the victims, the two of us leading them into the E.R. carefully. "Car accident. Minor blows to the head and a few bruises to his extremities and abdomen. Broken wrist is the worst thing he's got. Unconscious right now, but should just need a few sutures," The paramedic read out to us as the doors opened.

I nodded calmly as usually, already on the verge of instructing Jodie to handle the patient when-

My heart soon shattered at the site inside the ambulance, shaking my head in disbelief. Jodie turned to me shocked as well, eyeing my behavior closely. "Isn't that-" Jodie stopped and I pushed through towards the paramedics that were leading him inside.

"Shut up," I told her and rushed in with him still by my side. I did the sutures myself, not letting myself do a teaching moment on my boyfriend for Jodie, and called in Ortho to have them check out his wrist, but I still sat beside him, not wanting to leave him alone for a second.

Jodie brought me my coffee and I just let her check up on my patients for me while I waited with Mike.

I didn't want to leave him. I wanted to be there with him through every little thing because...I could.

My sleepiness got the best of me as I found myself being nudged awake softly, looking up to see Michael barely managing himself to open his eyes. "Hey Cat," He said with a smile.

It was enough to shake away the tiredness I had felt as I stood up to grin widely over to him. "Hey Fox," I said with a grin and held his hand gently. He looked me over with his pale blue eyes and I couldn't help to chuckle. "Did I miss something?"

"Were you here the entire time?" He asked with that smirk of his, having me already hear the cocky comment he'd make if I told him yes.

I looked down to the floor guilty and back up at him with the blush noticeable in my face. "I had to make sure everyone did everything perfectly so, yeah," I admitted and he laughed.

"God you're too much," He said and rubbed my hand with his thumb.

I leaned down to kiss him softly and quickly to let go and look back at him. "Apparently I'm not too much for you," I joked to have laugh and flick my nose with his free hand.

"You got that right," Michael joked back and I laughed, leaning my head on the bed to look up at him, our hands still together.

***

Inevitably I couldn't be the one to check on his sutures anymore, having most soon realize Michael was my significant other as he spent the night there. Such, however, did not leave me to eye interns patching up the cast carefully to make sure they weren't being ignorant with much of anything. Michael chuckled at the fact, tilting his head to me sympathetically. "They need to learn right."

I rolled my eyes and turned back to him. "They have a lot of learning opportunities, trust me," I joked, checking the time to see I was scheduled for a surgery just before driving Michael back home, "I'll be back, I still need to scrub in."

He leaned up his chin, waiting expectantly with a raised brow and I chuckled to give him a quick kiss before making my way out. "Hey Cat." I turned back to him, leaning on the doorway with a small smile. "Make 'em proud, kid."

I puffed up the collars of my coat, shrugging my shoulders confidently. "Don't I always? See you when I get back Fox." Making my way over to the O.R., Jodie looked to me walk in and stopped scrubbing her hands suddenly as she did so. I raised my brow to her as I began to deeply scrub under my finger nails and such. "You alright?"

She shook her head, shutting off the water. "Nothing, you just- I aspire to have your confidence is all." I looked to her surprised for the praise, smiling softly to her.

"Good because you're assisting me on this. I'll be right in." I could practically hear her internal screams, only making me laugh at the fact as I went into the room as well to prep for the surgery.

If anything, the only bad thing about all this is me growing soft on my interns. Of course, there's no harm in that after all.