Chapter 10 - A Change of Routine.

Lexi had fallen in to a routine at the cabin, she would wake, take a quick shower, hike 4 miles in the woods then return to the cabin for breakfast.

The next morning Jay joined her on her hike. They walked in silence mostly, just listening to the sound of nature around them, the birds, forest creatures, the wind blowing the trees. They reached a high point, a large boulder stuck out of the ground, Lexi used this as a break spot. She figured it was roughly 2 miles in to the 4 miles she liked to walk.

Lexi took the rucksack off her back and rested it on the boulder, she took out two bottles of water and passed one to Jay. "Thanks" he said taking the bottle.

Lexi put the rucksack on the floor and leant on the boulder, watching Jay drink from his water bottle. He looked like the perfect television advert model, stood a little higher than her, the sun behind him, haloing around him as he tilted his head back to drink from the bottle, his white t-shirt clung to him where he had begun to sweat. Lexi was admiring the view as she drank her own water, her mind went to their kiss again.

Lexi shook her head breaking her daydream. "I don't know how to be in Chicago without Shay" Lexi explained looking at him. She knew him finding out about her wanting to transfer from someone else was harsh, she should have told him, he deserved better from her. She felt she owed him an explanation. "I've only ever been there with her, we moved there together, we lived together, I don't know Chicago without her"

"It doesn't mean you have to leave"

"I'm scared Jay, I'm scared I'll make new memories and they will replace the old ones and I'll forget her" Lexi admitted, she looked down at her feet a little ashamed, then stood up straight, she shouldn't be ashamed for any feelings she had, her therapist had told her that. She had to own any feeling she had, even if she couldn't pinpoint why she felt that way.

"No, you won't. You won't ever be able to forget" Jay reassured her "Shay is all over that city, all the good she did, all the people she saved, she's everywhere and I won't let you forget." He approached her and took her in his arms, he kissed her forehead.

Lexi sighed in to him and always got a little shiver down her spine when he kissed her in such a flippant way. It probably meant nothing to him, it was just a friendly gesture to him, Lexi wasn't sure he knew what an effect he was having on her lately.

She felt a little guilty, she had always felt something for him but never acted on it because they worked together and because of Kelly. But then she thought maybe she only felt that way because he was there for her when she needed him the most, maybe it was the grief making her feel something that wasn't real?

Jay pulled out of the hug quicker than Lexi would have liked "Come on, let's get back, I'm starving"

"You can't handle it can you?" Lexi asked laughing, he was struggling with the hike.

"Nope" Jay admitted "I'm totally going to pass out if you make me carry on" Jay started walking back the way they had come, Lexi followed laughing at him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that night.

"Thanks" Lexi said accepting the mug of coffee Jay offered her before sitting on the couch beside her placing his own mug on the table in front of the couch. Lexi repositioned herself, so her legs were tucked up beneath her and she was facing Jay. "I'm sorry about the whole transfer thing. I should have told you"

"Don't be, unless you're going through with it?" Jay turned to look at her, he wanted to gauge her reaction. Lexi shook her head. "Good. Cause I don't know Chicago without you" he reminded her.