Chapter 13 - Volatile Mix

The next evening Jay and Lexi walked hand in hand to Molly's. It was Adam's birthday; he had decided to have a few drinks at Molly's then move on to a club in town to celebrate.

"That wasn't as bad as I thought" Jay admitted. Lexi had asked him to go with her to a group grief counselling session. She had promised they could sit in the back, it being both their first times doing such a thing, to make it a little easier. Jay had agreed immediately but Lexi had confessed she thought it would help Jay deal with some of his PTSD as well.

Lexi had been having weekly therapy sessions whilst she had been at the cabin and it had helped her, she knew it could help Jay too.

"Told you so" Lexi said "it's kind of nice to know I'm not the only one totally screwed in the head"

"You are not screwed in the head"

"I'm dating you, aren't I?" Lexi quipped

Jay raised his eyebrows questioningly. "Dating, really?"

"Well what else would you call it?"

"We've already established you hit the jackpot with me, right?"

"That's right, I forgot, tall, handsome, funny, and amazing in bed, was it?"

Jay nodded stopping and standing in front of her putting his arms around her neck. "Correct." He smiled "So, are you sure you just want to be dating all of that?"

Lexi kissed him lightly on the lips "you know, you're right." Lexi chuckled before asking in a high-pitched preppy school girl tone "Jay Halstead, will you be my boyfriend?"

"Oh man, I don't know" Jay said moving to walk beside her putting his arm around her neck. "Can I think about it"

Lexi used her elbow and nudged it in to his ribs laughing. "Jackass"

Jay laughed too. "Nothing would make me happier" he said kissing the side of her head as they continued to walk. "You know we don't have to do this" Jay said as Molly's came in to view down the street. "I'm sure Adam would understand"

"We've got as much right to be in there as anyone else" Lexi said knowing Jay understood she was referring to Kelly.

"Are we just asking for trouble?" he queried. "Alcohol, ex-fiancé's and new boyfriends make for a volatile mix"

"Don't worry Halstead, I'll protect you" Lexi smirked putting her arm around his waist, her hand in the back pocket of his jeans as they continued to walk.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Molly's was busy. Adam, Kevin, Kim, Jay and Lexi were at a table in the back. They had been there for a couple of hours, Adam had insisted they do shots of tequila before they hit the road and went to a club in town.

"Come on, drink up" Adam commanded Jay "we're moving on!"

Jay laughed and chugged the rest of his beer. Jay put on his coat before walking through the crowd towards the door a few steps behind everyone else.

Jay looked up seeing Kelly coming towards him and knew from his expression it wasn't going to end well. Kelly barged past him, purposely knocking his shoulder in to him. "Watch where you're going" Kelly spat at him.

Jay ignored it, he wasn't going to give Kelly the reaction he wanted. He wasn't worth it. Jay laughed shaking his head as he turned and looked at him. "Sure thing buddy. Have a good night now, I know I will" Jay smirked knowing the remark would piss him off. Jay left through the front door to find everyone waiting for him. He put his arm around Lexi's neck and kissed her.