Lucy Kee: Dying Was Not on On My List Of Priorities.

I lied to Elodie again. I'd gone to the doctor about a week ago. He told me that I wasn't going to make it through the week. The next two, at the most. Elodie lead us through the streets, sense of duty arising in all of us. Gwen had said that our target had stopped at a cantina. Or maybe it was a club. I don't remember. I sure hope Elodie does since she's leading. 

"Do you even know where you're going?" I asked her. 

"Yes. I do, don't worry." Elodie said, focused look on her face. Gwen nodded to show me that Elodie knew where she was going. I shrugged, tiring. I didn't show it, though. 

"Hey, girls. Where're you going?" said a man, eyebrows raised. 

"None of your business" Elodie shot back, stopping. She folded her arms and walked right up to him. 

"You should worry about yourself. Mind your own business," she snapped, poking him in the chest. She spun on her heel and walked away. Gwen and I shared an impressed look and ran after her. She sure has a lot of her mother in her, which is definitely a good thing. 

"Okay, kiddos. No throwing open the doors and demanding he or she turns himself or herself over. Got it? And no mingling with the people there. These places are some of the most sketchy on the entire planet." Gwen said as we stopped outside a place with flashing lights. I didn't like them. They made my head hurt, which made me really dizzy. No! I can't die now! I shook my head to clear it, but that only made it worse. I'm doing great at life, as you can see.  I heard the loud, thumping music and my head pounded. I grabbed Elodie's hand and leaned on her for support. Elodie didn't mind and looped an arm around me to steady me. She's a good friend. I hope that she's not too sad if I die, though I know she will be. Stop with the sadistic thoughts, Lucy. Gwen saw us and held me up so Elodie could be free. 

"You two stay in the shadows. I'm older and look older, so I'll distract them. Lu, are you going to be okay?" Gwen said. For the first time, I saw some concern in her eyes. I forced myself to nod. 

"She'll be by me, so if something happens, I'll be there." Elodie said. Gwen squeezed Elodie's shoulder. 

"Hunting the hunter," she said before entering. As promised, Gwen distracted the person at the doors so Elodie and I could slip in unnoticed. I immediately began looking for an exit. Elodie shared my hatred of this place. 

"I... I hate this. This is so..." she whispered. 

"Disgusting, horrid, sadistic?" I finished. 

 "All of those." 

"I found us a nice table to hide under." I said, jerking my head to a table covered with a tablecloth. The motion made my head hurt worse, but I pushed that aside and pulled Elodie under the table with me. 

"I can't see out," she murmured, lifting the cloth a bit. Then she let it drop. 

"Never mind. I don't want to see." 

"Take my... sweater jacket thing. It'll cover your dress and you'll blend into the shadows more." I said, handing her my gray sweater-jacket thing. Elodie put it on. 

"This is amazingly comfortable." 

"I know!" I said. She waved before crawling out from under the table. I curled up and began my wait. I laid on the floor to see if that would help my head. It helped a little bit, and I could see Elodie. You couldn't see her unless you were specifically looking for her. I made a mental note to tell her that she was quite skilled at the art of blending in. And to ask her what 'friend' is in her strange language. One moment I was fine, my head hurt less, and then the fire filled my body. My breath hitched in my chest. I have to find Elodie. Now. I clawed my way out from under the table and then I saw her pressed up against the wall. A man in Mandalorian armor was looking around, probably for her. 

"Elodie... Elodie..." I rasped, going limp. She saw me and then screamed, "GWEN WE HAVE TO GO NOW!" 

Gwen and the man looked right at her and charged. Gwen bulldozed into him, sending him flying. She scooped me up and ran for the door, Elodie right next to her. My limbs and head lolled around. 

"Keep breathing, keep fighting, come on, you can do it Lu." Gwen whispered to me, leaping over a crate. She and Elodie wove through the crowd, dodging people and objects. 

"Taylir bat, taylir bat!" Elodie said urgently. Her blue eyes were filled with concern and fear, which makes me kind of scared. But I'm not scared of dying. I've trained myself not to fear death. No, it's Elodie that I'm scared for. I'm scared to lose her, which is not a feeling I'm used to.

"What does that even mean?" Gwen said, confused. 

"Hold on, Luce."

Then I remembered what I wanted to ask her. 

"What... what's friend in... in your language?" 

"In Mando'a? Burc'ya."

"Burk ya." 

"No, burc'ya." 

"Burc'ya."

"Elek."

"What's.... that?"

"Elek is yes."

"Oh... burc'ya Elodie?" 

"'Friend Elodie?'"

"Sure... whatever..." 

I waved a hand and rolled my eyes, using the last of my strength. I'm not going to let dying dull  my sass. Nope, not today, Death. I get to keep my sass. My breath, not so much. 

"No no no! Stay awake!" Gwen said, fear shining in her eyes. Then the world went black.