Elodie: Good and Bad Advice From Jedi

Gwen and I spent the night at Aileen's. I had Aileen explain to her what to do in an interview. Gwen looked really nervous about it.

"I don't know, Elodie," she said. "Why don't I just take this job?"

She showed me an ad for a cashier. I shook my head. She sighed.

"Why?"

"Because you deserve better than to be a cashier." I said simply. Gwen looked at me. She looked at Aileen. 

"I swear, you are something else." Gwen said to me, shaking her head. 

"I'm telling the truth. You're more than you know, Gwen." I said. Aileen nodded.

"Elodie's right, Gwennith. You deserve to have a good life." Aileen agreed. Good, someone who knows what I mean. 

"Okay, okay. I'll try." Gwen relented. 

"No try. Only do." I said, imitating Yoda. Gwen laughed.

"Okay. I'll do." Gwen said, smiling. 

"Do you want a dress or a nice blouse?" Aileen asked, already planning Gwen's job-winning outfit.

"Blouse. I hate dresses." Gwen said, making a face.

"Don't hate them, Gwen." Aileen protested. 

"Why? They're not suitable for combat and they're... ick, they're pretty."

"Just because you don't like dresses and looking nice doesn't mean you have to shame it, Gwennith. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. If you're going to put someone down for that kind of thing, you need to grow up." Aileen snapped, a hand on my shoulder. I liked dresses. She knew that. Gwen didn't pay attention enough to know.

"What, let me guess, you like the princess-y things?" Gwen snarked.

"Gwen, stop!" I ordered.

"Gwennith Fiara Shipley! Stop this at once!"

"Ooh, someone's upset!"

"GWEN!" I screamed, standing on top of my chair. Aileen and Gwen stopped fighting and looked at me. 

"I like dresses, okay? Wearing dresses and liking girly stuff isn't bad, Gwen. Having manners doesn't make you any less of a warrior. I thought you of all people would know that. You, who I trust with my life. You, who I love as my sister. You who taught me that I'm much more than I seem. You told me I was a warrior. What does that make you?" I said, tears streaming down my face. I stormed out of the apartment, slamming the door behind me. I clicked the up button in the elevator. I'm going to the surface to get something to eat. I wandered the city for a bit, hands on the pockets of my sweatshirt. It would be fall back on Naboo. I wonder what fall is like on Mandalore. I kicked at a leaf. 

Wait. 

Let me go back for a second. To those two words.

A leaf

There are no big trees in Corusca City. 

That means....

I looked up. Somehow I'd wandered into the Jedi Temple's garden. Huh.

"Are you looking for something, young one?" an older woman asked. I immediately recognized her as Jocasta Nu. I bowed.

"No, Master Nu. I am not."

Master Nu raised her eyebrows. 

"Okay, I lied. I am looking for serenity. Something to relieve me of my problems." I confessed, sitting down on a bench.