Aileen Vidua: Gwen is On My Poop List

I haven't seen Gwennith Fiara Shipley since I was eight years old. One day, we were at school, laughing and joking around. The next, she was gone. I'm torn between slapping Gwen and hugging her. I went for the middle option. 

"Where have you been?"  I demanded, voice cracking. Gwen rubbed the back of her neck, grimacing. 

"It's a long story," she finally said. I folded my arms and glared at her. That's all I get? All I get from the girl I thought was dead?  She's going to have to do a lot better than that. The girl that was with her, I think her name is Elodie, was asleep. She was curled up in one of my armchairs, wearing one of my old t-shirts and too-big shorts. 

"That is not a valid answer, Gwen. I demand to know what became of my best friend in the, what, no less than 10 years you've been gone? I understand a year or two, but 10 and a half years is way to much not to have an explanation for," I said, angry at the way Gwen was acting. Yes, she's always been very secretive and distant with most people, but I don't care anymore. She owes me. 

"I couldn't anymore," Gwen said softly. 

"Gwennie, your mother loved you very much. She wanted the best for you." 

"She's dead, Aileen. She died a month before I left."

"I was there at the funeral! Why did you leave?"

"Because my dad was a horrible person! He cheated on his wife multiple times and he drank so much that he always returned home wasted if he even came home!" Gwen yelled, on her feet. I stood up, crying now.

"Evanna loved you. She loved you like you were her own daughter." 

"Well she did a really awful job of showing it," Gwen muttered, refusing to believe me. She wanted her hard, cold life to stay the way it was. I want to slap her across the face to make her see that times change. 

 "Now that you've given your views, let me show you the bigger picture. Maybe Evanna wasn't home a lot, but she always devoted her time to you when she was. She had to support you, herself, the bills, your father, his drinking bills, and so much else. Gwennie, she was devoted to you. She wanted the best for you," I explained, tilting Gwen's chin up so she'd look me in the eye. Her bottom lip quavered. 

"How bad did I hurt her?" Gwen asked quietly. I put a hand on her cheek. 

"Enough to make her realize how badly you hurt," I replied. She held my hand on her cheek and finally let herself cry. I held her tightly, kissing her forehead. I know Gwen hates when people see how vulnerable she can be, but I know that she trusts me. I'm glad she does. 

"What did she do?" Gwen asked, sniffling and wiping her eyes. 

"She's a counselor. She helps people like you feel okay with themselves again," I said gently. Gwen wrapped her arms around me, laying her head on my shoulder. 

"That's too sweet. Stop making me feel stuff. I've felt too much already today," Gwen said, choking out a sob. 

"That's my job. Making Gwennith feel stuff," I joked, stroking her hair. 

"Now you're joking?! What have you done with my Aileen?!" Gwen teased. I laughed. 

"She's right here, just changed." I told Gwen. "Just like you."

"I missed you, Leenie."

"Don't ever call me Leenie again," I scolded playfully. She knows how much I hated that pet name my grandma gave me. To be honest,  I kind of like it when she calls me Leenie, though.