Elodie: My Life Manages to Get Worse

I wish I didn't have to lose so much. 

Gwen and I walk the streets, me holding Lucy's cloak tightly. 

"They've got her, Elodie. It's going to be okay." Gwen said, but she looked worried. I turned away from her, so that she'd think I was mad and not crying. Too bad Gwen isn't fooled easily. 

"Elodie..."

"No. Don't 'Elodie' me. I can't take it! Why must life take so much from me? It took my family, my hopes and dreams, it stole friendship and love, and now it takes Lucy from me!"

"Family?"

"That's classified." 

I sniffled. Gwen laughed. 

"Classified, huh? There's certainly more to you than you let on, Elodie." 

"Same with you. Where do you live, and why were you in the Senate building? Why were you in that room? Do you work for a secret organization or something? Are you a spy?"

"If I tell you, you tell me. I answer you, you answer me." 

"Deal."

"For one, I don't work for a secret organization. I'm not a spy. I steal food and occasionally pickpocket there. I stole a custodian outfit or something to ensure my way in. Now, why were you in the building?"

"School trip."

"Fair enough. I've seen those weirdos in the building before, but I never knew there was that room. I was curious and followed them once. Then the second time I decided to risk everything to find out what they were doing. And just so you know, I'm usually a loner."

"Great. So is that why you decided to keep me? To sell me to slavers or someone?" 

"No. That's cruel and horrible. I'd never do that. And I live on the streets. I have since I was ten. I ran away. Now who are you really, mysterious Elodie? You're not a secret guard, that's for sure. You told Lucy didn't you?"

"I did. I'm... okay, you have to promise you won't tell anyone."

"Okay?"

"Swear it."

"I swear on my life."

"I'm the Duchess's daughter. Master Kenobi is my father."

"Secret children must be popular. So does she know?"

"She knows she had a child. A daughter, but she had to put me up for adoption when I was a newborn baby. I wrote her a bunch of letters on this datapad I had."

"What happened to the datapad?"

"I dropped it. Actually, I went up to her, said 'Mother' or something and dropped it, and ran."

"Elodie you idiot. You could've stayed! Gone with her, gone home!"

"I know, okay? I know! But I chose you and Lucy instead." I yelled, sobbing, "And now Lucy's gone and I can't go back. This is the curse of being a secret child."

"Couldn't you go to your dad?"

"No! Jedi aren't supposed to have kids!" 

We walked in silence, my face turned away from Gwen. 

"I... I'm sure she's wondering where you are now. Admiring the bravery and genius of her daughter. For what it's worth, if you could go back, I'd do anything and everything in my power to get you back." Gwen said. I looked at her. She looked sincere. My mouth turned up at the corners. 

"You'd go that far to get rid of me? That's dedication right there." I said. 

"What? No!" Gwen protested. She saw my smirk and then punched my arm. 

"What's the word for stupid in Mando'a?"

"I dunno. Di'kut."

"Di'kut."

"That's idiot, stupid."

"Ooh, what's 'princess'?"

I racked my brain, but I had no idea. 

"Ad'ika is a common pet name." I said instead. 

"Okay then. What's 'kid' or 'child'?"

"Child is adiik."

"Adiik, this is my alleyway. I fought tooth and nail for it when I was a little younger than you. You see an intruder, you alert me or take them on yourself. Got it? While you're here, you live by my rules."

"Yes, alor."

"What's that?

"Leader."

"Nah. I don't like that. We'll be like... sisters?"

"Ori vod is big sister. Small sister is kih vod."

"Kih vod, make yourself at home. You okay with stealing for a living?"

"Right now, I'd do just about anything you said."

"Good because I need to teach you how to steal without getting caught. A caught sister is not a good sister."

I settled into a nest of ratty blankets and listened to Gwen as she told me how to live the life of a thief. I have to admit, I never thought I'd be doing this.