Korkie Kryze: Huh?

Asleep in Duchess Satine's sitting room, Korkie was having the same dream he'd had every other night that week. Falling through a computer screen, falling, falling, falling, then he was back in the sitting room. Wait, why was he in the sitting room again? Wasn't he dreaming? His aunt sat on the couch, staring. Staring at nothing. Korkie waved a hand in front of her face. No response, not even a blink. He snapped his fingers. Clapped his hands. Stomped his feet. Did all three. He jumped on the couch, dumped water on her head, screamed...

Nothing. 

Korkie looked at his aunt's blank expression, panicking as he did every time he had this dream. 

"Auntie! Aunt Satine!" he sobbed, hugging her. "Come back." 

No answer.

"Please," he begged, crying. 

A trapdoor opened in the floor and darkness swallowed him up. He landed on the floor. A floor. He stood up and looked around. A light illuminated a girl. A girl with blonde hair, blue eyes, pale skin, and a blue and white striped dress. She looked around, panicking. She spotted Korkie. Korkie knew what was going to happen. 

"Hey!" the girl yelled, running towards him. "I have to tell you something!"

"Wait! Don't run!" Korkie yelled in despair. As she ran towards him, the ground caved in and she fell with a scream. Normally, Korkie stood there helplessly. This time, Korkie jumped. He screamed as he fell, fearing the worst. 

"You jumped after me?" the girl asked curiously, falling beside him.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I?" Korkie replied breathlessly. The girl smiled.

"Good. Because what I have to tell you is really important."

"Tell me!"

"Hi. My name is Elodie and I am-" 

She was cut off by him waking up. Korkie bit back a curse, wanting to know what the girl—Elodie—was going to tell him. 

"Korkie? Are you still awake?" Satine Kryze asked softly, doors closing behind her as she entered the room. Korkie pretended to be asleep so that she wouldn't worry. 

"You don't fool me," Satine said, sitting beside Korkie. He scowled, but didn't open his eyes. Satine sighed. 

"Korkie, what's wrong?" 

"Nothing. Just... a dream." That was the truth, but only half of it. 

"You can talk to me." 

"No, I really can't," Korkie snapped, pulling away from her touch.

"Oh," Satine murmured, drawing back her hand.

"You're never around. When you are, you're always distant and preoccupied with something. You never seem to have time for me anymore. Only work. Work, work, work. I get it, you're the duchess, but you don't have to work all the time!" Korkie exclaimed, "And on top of that, you're never fully there when we talk. Some part of you is always off in your own world, working again."

"Korkie, you wouldn't-"

"Oh, I wouldn't understand, huh? That's how it is?"

"I-"

"Goodnight, Duchess Satine," Korkie growled, laying down and pulling the covers over his head. It was the gesture they both knew to mean go away. Once he was sure that his aunt had left, he relaxed a bit. Maybe he'd been a little too harsh.

But it was the truth. 

What he'd said was exactly what she'd done to him. 

"Whatever. I can do this on my own." Korkie muttered, bringing out the computer. He brought up the poetry site. 

To: Elodie Starchild

Subject: Hi

I couldn't think up a subject. A greeting would work since I'm just writing to say hi. 

So, hi. 

I've read your poems and they're incredible. I especially like the one about the stars. It really... makes me feel like I'm not alone. Anyway, hope all is well with you. 

Thanks,

Wait, what would he use as a name? He couldn't go by Korkie. It would be tracked back to him. Korkie thought for a moment. Then he smiled. 

A fellow Loth Cat in sunglasses  

Korkie closed the computer and put it back in Soniee's bag. He wished Lucy could come to sleepovers. Sadly, it didn't work that way. As Lucy had said, you take what you get. Problem was, Korkie didn't want some of what he got. He wanted to change the script a bit. He yawned. Changing the script could wait. First, sleep.

Korkie couldn't deny something, though. 

It was that feeling inside. 

The feeling was just like, huh?

It felt like he was watching the world he loved burn, but he didn't know why it was on fire. 

Therefor, huh?

Maybe later he could find a figurative fire extinguisher...