9: James' Unclear Dream

Chapter Nine

Wednesday morning, I'm sitting in AP Lit with Kayla, chatting about boys when we're supposed to be reading the Hamlet book.

Kayla, believe it or not, is single. She wants a boy, but is unsure of which one she should pursue.

"There's Brad," she states. "He's hot, but a total douche sometimes."

"Next," I say immediately.

"Then there's Adam, he's cute," she mentions. "And we've flirted a bit. He's in my calc class and he's super smart, but like also kind of dorky and nerdy, so I don't know about that."

"Maybe," I reply. "Who else?"

"Okay, so there's also Paul," she adds. "He's mega hot, and he is actually nice to me. But the problem is that he literally deals weed and cocaine."

My eyes widen. "Um, no. Bad idea."

"But I kinda like him," she says, looking worried.

"Oh god, Kay." I shake my head at her. "It's one thing if he deals weed, but coke, too? He sounds like bad news."

"He is," she agrees. "But he's so hot..."

"Also, his name is Paul?" I question, and she nods. "He sounds like a forty year old man."

"If you were to see his face, though," she tells me, and I laugh. "I'm serious, he's hands down the best looking guy at this school."

"How can a guy who does cocaine be hot?" I ask.

"No, he doesn't do any of the drugs," she tells me. "Just the weed, but that's it." She sighs, "you just need to see him for yourself. Paul will make you fall out of love James."

"Um, what?" I sputter.

"Yeah, yeah, you're not in love or whatever." She waves me off. "At the party next Friday I'll introduce you to Paul."

"I'd rather not be introduced to a guy that sells cocaine, Kay," I point out.

"No! He's cool," she exclaims. "Trust me, you'll like him. He has this charm to him. It's like, you know he's bad, but you just can't help but think about how good it would be..."

"Okay, that's enough out of you," I cut her off.

"Me?" She questions, and I nod. "You should hear you and James speak." She then sighs, "I know I didn't want to know, but I'm too curious...what happens to the loser?"

I bite my lip, looking around the room. I get closer to her, before whispering, "a lap dance and strip tease."

Her eyebrows shoot up. "What?"

I sit back in my chair, fiddling with my pencil.

"Oh my god," she breathes. "Why?"

"I don't know," I shrug.

"Whose idea was it?" She asks.

"His," I tell her.

She hides a smile. "That boy is so into you. And you're so into him, too."

"So?" I question dumbly.

"And you're actually admitting it now!" She cheers. "Finally." She suddenly gasps, "oh my god, imagine him giving you a lap dance, how funny would that be?"

My cheeks turn lightly red. "It wouldn't be funny."

"And you!" She continues. "You giving him one? I'd be scared."