29: The Dinner

Chapter Twenty Nine

The school day is almost over on Wednesday when I walk into the biology classroom and sit down next to Carly.

Bennett and James walk in just before the bell rings.

I don't miss Bennett gaze at Carly for a moment before he sits down. Carly, however, didn't even notice. Before I can even think about that, James walks over to me.

"Hey," he grins.

I smile back. "Hey."

"You ready for dinner tonight?" He asks, leaning against the table.

"I guess," I reply. "Do you think it'll be awkward?"

"No," he immediately tells me. "My mom loves you."

"I know, but...she's your mom," I comment. "I've always gotten along with her well, but I mean, I'm dating her son now."

"Stop worrying," he says. "It'll be fine. But, if it's not, we can just fake some friend emergency and get out of there."

My eyes soften. "You're the best."

He leans down and pecks my lips quickly. "I'll pick you up at six."

"Okay," I agree, as he starts to walk back to his seat next to Bennett.

"You seem nervous about dinner with his mom," Carly notes, laughing lightly.

I sigh. "How could I not be? It's his mom."

"Yeah, but you've met her before, right?" She questions.

"Yeah," I confirm, sitting back into my seat.

"I think you'll be okay," she says. "You're Lily Jones, you're good at everything you do."

My mouth dries up at that, and my chest feels heavy with a familiar guilt.

Luckily, we don't get to talk anymore after that, because our teacher starts to lecture.

These past couple of months, I've created strong friendships with Carly and everybody. And the more time that passes, the guiltier I feel for lying to them.

When class ends almost an hour later, Carly and I are packing up our things when Bennett walks up to us.

He clears his throat, his eyes locked on Carly.

She looks up, and furrows her eyebrows together in confusion.

"Hey," he says, adjusting the bag on his back. "Do you want to go to like a coffee shop and study or something?"

James makes his way over to us, his eyes flickering back and forth between Carly and Bennett, before landing on me with a questioning gaze.

I shrug, looking back at the two in curiosity.

"Um, I can't today," she tells him, standing up.

Another boy walks up then, and I recognize him as a guy she once talked to before. I think his name is Jaden.

In that moment, I also remember her telling me about a date she has this weekend with another guy named Jase.

"Hey, Carly," Jaden greets, smiling wide at her before looking around at all of us. "Hey, James, what's up?"

"Hey, Jaden," James replies, and they do a typical fist bump.

Jaden's gaze turns to me. "Is this your girl?"

"Yeah, this is Ro—Lily," he quickly recovers, and I try to keep my voice neutral, like I didn't just hear him almost slip up and call me Rosie.

Jaden doesn't seem fazed. "It's nice to finally meet the girl you've been obsessed with." He laughs.