18: Wilson Interrogates James

Chapter Eighteen

"Happy Tuesday," Wilson greets chirpily as I walk into our third period government class.

I give him a once over as I sit down in my seat next to him. "Why are you so happy today?"

"No reason," he replies, but the grin on his face convinces me otherwise. "Just in a good mood, that's all."

I narrow my eyes at him. "Did something happen with a girl?"

"What? No..." He looks away from me, and I smile widely.

"This is about a girl!" I exclaim, and he quickly turns my way and shushes me.

"Be quiet!" He hisses.

"Who is she?" I ask eagerly. "Is it that one girl? What's her name..."

"Adilah," he replies, sighing.

"Yeah, her!" I confirm, feeling excited. "What happened?"

"I'm not talking about this with you," he states, leaning back in his seat.

"Why not?" I question. He gives me a pointed look in return. "Wilson!" I complain. "I thought we were friends, but I guess not..."

"Fine," he complies, groaning. "So Adilah's in my literature class second period, and our teacher is making us do this partner assignment. She decided to randomly assign partners, and so now Adilah is my partner." He pauses, grinning. "And, we don't get enough class time to work on it, so we'll have to meet up outside of school to finish it."

"Damn, Wilson," I laugh. "Are you going to make a move?"

"I don't know," he replies, becoming serious. "I want to, but I don't know if she wants me to. I can't tell if she likes me or not."

"Well, you can use this time to find out," I suggest.

"That's true," he comments, taking a deep breath.

I think back to the only time I've ever seen Adilah, which was a few weeks ago when she passed by us in the hallway. I remember her looking very pretty, and also wearing a hijab. "Is she Muslim?" I ask Wilson.

"Yeah," he replies.

"That's cool," I comment.

I don't know why, but I'm surprised that Wilson actually likes a Muslim girl. He seems like the kind of guy who isn't very serious about relationships, and just wants to sleep around. But Muslim girls tend to be more modest, and I definitely don't think Adilah would want to do anything with him.

"You're not going to corrupt her, are you?" I quickly question.

"What? No, of course not!" He exclaims. "Do you really think that lowly of me?"

"No..." I trail off, just as the bell rings. "You're just not the most innocent person out there," I attempt to explain, grabbing my pencil and notebook out of my backpack.

"Who told you that?" He asks.

"Um, no one," I reply.

"So you just assumed that I'm a slut," he says, crossing his arms.

I furrow my eyebrows together. "What?"

"I'm not a slut, Lily," he states, his voice low.

"I never said you were!" I reply, confused.

"Not that it's any of your business, but I'm a virgin," he suddenly says, causing my eyes to widen.

I cough, caught of guard.