32: Prom

Chapter Thirty Two

I flinch as Kayla nearly stabs my head with a bobby pin.

"Hold still," she hisses at me.

"I'm trying," I retort, looking up at her in the mirror.

Prom is today, and Kayla, Carly, and I are all getting ready at Kayla's house.

Carly decided to go with a guy named Jase, and Bennett never made a move, much to my dismay.

We got our nails done yesterday after school, and I just went with simple white, French tips, so that they match with everything, even after prom night.

Speaking of tonight, there's an after party at Harry's house, which we all decided we were gonna go to. I brought a simple slip dress to Kayla's, so that I can change into it before the party, and not have to worry about spilling alcohol on my prom dress.

Currently, Kayla is pinning up my hair, which I curled earlier. We're doing a half up-half down look, and I think it'll look really pretty when we're done.

But for now, I have to sit here and deal with Kayla poking my head with these pins every five seconds.

I flinch again, and Kayla complains, "that barely even poked you."

"It hurt," I mumble quietly.

I glance beside at me Carly, who's applying eyeshadow.

"I'm so excited for next weekend," Kayla mentions while she continues to do my hair.

"It's going to be so fun," Carly comments.

Next weekend is spring break, and our usual group of the six of us are going to Florida for four days. We're staying at an airbnb, and I think it'll be a lot of fun.

I've never been on a trip with friends before, so I'm really excited.

"I can't wait." I sigh dreamily just thinking about it.

"You're just excited to hangout on the beach with James all day." Kayla smirks.

"And with you guys, too!" I add.

Carly laughs. "I'm sure."

"No, I'm serious," I tell them. "I love you guys."

"Aw," Kayla coos.

"We love you too," Carly says, side-hugging me.

"We love you," Kayla agrees. "But not as much as James," she adds, winking.

I blush lightly. "He doesn't love me."

"Yes, he does," Kayla says. "Just because he hasn't told you yet, doesn't mean he doesn't love you."

"Yeah, James is definitely in love with you," Carly continues. "He always looks at you with these funny puppy-dog eyes."

"That's true," Kayla affirms. "And may I remind you about how he acts when he's drunk? He treats you like you're his world, and he can't live without you."

"Yeah, and they say the stuff people do while drunk, is stuff they want to do, but just don't have the courage to actually do when sober," Carly states.

"Let's talk about something else," I say, pushing James to the back of my mind for now. "Like Jase. How's he?"

"He's good," Carly comments, returning to her makeup.

"Just good?" Kayla asks, pushing for more info.

"He's cute, but I'm starting to get tired of how nice he is," Carly admits.