12: Someone Finally Loses

Chapter Twelve

James opens the car door for me, and I slide inside Kayla's car, smiling up at him. He grins before closing the door for me and walking around to the other side.

"You two are getting so cute," Kayla sighs, looking at me in the rear view mirror.

"Yeah, now that you're not always talking about sex, it's like you're two normal people," Wilson comments as James gets in the car. "It's refreshing."

"Oh, that reminds me," Kayla says. "It's been a week since you guys made that deal, and you've lasted this long. Congratulations."

"Thank you," I reply.

"It's surprising actually," Wilson tells us as Kayla starts driving. It's Tuesday, and we're all going out for our weekly group lunch. "I'm especially surprised about James."

We all talk a little longer, until Kayla pulls up into Qdoba's parking lot and we get out of the car. Wilson rushes inside, complaining about how he's dying of starvation, and Kayla waits behind with James and I as we both slowly walk up to the entrance.

"You guys are coming over Thursday after school to help set everything up, right?" She asks us.

"Yeah," I reply, as James nods his head.

"Okay, good," she replies. "Because it's a lot. I went to the store to find some lights, and I may have went a little overboard."

I laugh. "What all did you get?"

"I found strobe lights," she says excitedly. "And I bought like a hundred shot glasses. Also, Shawn Thomas and Molly Harrison agreed to be bartenders."

The three of us walk inside, where Wilson is already ordering.

"And wait till you hear this," she continues, before leaning in closer to us. "I got a confetti canon."

"You what?" James questions. Kayla nods proudly, smiling wildly.

"Jesus, Kay," I comment. "You really went all out."

Wilson finishes ordering, and Kayla gets her food next.

"I had no idea how big her plan was," James says. "We're going to have to actually do work to set it all up."

"It sounds exhausting," I comment.

He chuckles. "Don't you workout at the gym? Nothing should be exhausting for you."

"I run on the treadmill," I tell him. "I can't lift or do anything like that."

"Well, I'll take you to the gym sometime and you can lift with me," he suggests.

I look over at him. "Are you being serious?"

He shrugs. "Yeah, why not?"

I think about it for a moment. I really hate lifting. But I like James. "Okay," I finally agree. "But you don't look like you can lift that much," I joke. James has a strong build with big arms, so there's no way he sucks at lifting.

"Oh yeah?" He questions, and I nod. "Feel," he tells me, getting closer and holding out his arm.

"James," I say, raising an eyebrow.

"Do it," he tells me, being completely serious.

"I'm not going to feel your muscles in the middle of Qdoba!" I hiss, my voice low.

"Why not?" He taunts, coming even closer to me. "What are you so scared of?"

"I'm not scared, I'm uncomfortable," I reply.