22: The Virgins

Chapter Twenty Two

I quickly put my shirt on, glancing over at James. After pulling my shorts back on, I grab the blanket off the edge of the couch and wrap it around him.

A soft smile forms on my lips as I watch him sleep for a moment. It's still really dark in here, but my eyes have adjusted. I send one last glance to James, before slowly walking up the stairs.

My head is killing me, and I need some water. Once I reach the top of the stairs, I look around, not remembering how to get back to the living room.

After taking a few wrong turns, I finally find myself back in the living room. Wilson is passed out in the chair, and Kayla is still laying on the floor.

The light from the sun is dimmed by the curtains covering the windows, and I'm glad. I am completely hungover right now.

I find my phone sitting in the couch cushions, and I grab it, checking the time. My eyes widen when I see that it's already noon.

"Will you be quiet?" A hushed voice says from the next room over.

"I'm not even being loud," another voice replies.

I furrow my eyebrows together, confused, before I make my way over to the next room. I walk in, and see Bennett and Carly looking through the cupboards.

For a little bit, I watch them silently, wondering what happened to them after they both fought last night. The details are foggy, but I still remember them yelling at each other and then...wrestling? I'm not sure.

"What are you guys doing?" I finally ask, leaning against the door frame.

They both jump, turning and looking at me with wide eyes.

"Uh, looking for food," Bennett tells me.

"What happened to you guys last night?" I question, glancing between the two of them suspiciously.

"Nothing," Bennett replies quickly, and Carly nods, her eyes on the ground.

I narrow my eyes at her, but decide not to say anything else. At least, not right now.

"I should probably go," Bennett says. "Claire hasn't been answering any of my calls. I think she's mad at me. I'll see you guys later."

My eyes widen as he walks past me, and then out the front door. I turn back to Carly, my mouth gaped open.

"Um, what the hell happened?" I question immediately, walking up to her.

"Nothing, apparently," she replies bitterly.

"Carly," I say quietly. "Are you okay?"

"I hate him," she tells me. "But...I think I'm in love with him."

"What?" I sputter, thrown off guard. She nods, rubbing her forehead. "Okay, what the actual fuck happened?"

"Well," she sighs. "I was trying to get away from him, because I was so angry. And he caught me again in that room, over there," she motions towards the next room. "And he was just holding me against the wall, and then I...oh god, I'm so stupid."

"What did you do?" I ask carefully.

"I kissed him," she tells me, grimacing.

"You what?" I question, shocked.

"Yeah," she closes her eyes, looking ashamed. "And he pulled away."

"Oh, Carly," I say sadly, wrapping my arms around her. I pull her into a hug, rubbing her back softly. That kind of rejection...it's everyone's worst nightmare.