Chapter Two: What's a Winter Without Ice?

A few weeks passed. It was almost Christmas and the family couldn't be happier than they are now. Kayla and Austin were training together outside, when it suddenly started to snow.

     Kayla gasped "It's snowing!" Kayla hurried inside to tell the others who were still having lunch. She opened the door quickly. "Guys! It's snowing!" She said in excitement. Everyone rushed outside to see the first snow of the year. Why was this a big deal to them all?

     Everybody knelt down in a circle. They were all smiling and the girls, including Misako, started to cry. Every year when it starts to snow they all have a moment to remember Zane. Their favourite part was going to the lake the day after to look at their reflections in the new ice. They say that Zane helps create ice and snow every year. Lloyd and Austin started to sob too. They all missed Zane truly by heart. Even though they sob, they smile to show their happiness of Zane giving his life. Lloyd thinks everyone in the city should do this too. Luke is only seven and has been told stories of the great nindroid, but never knew him. Austin was next to Kayla. Austin knew by now that Kayla had a crush on him, and he had one on her as well, but never had the nerve to tell her. Once everyone was finished crying, they all went back inside. Kayla was the last one to stop sobbing. She was excited for tomorrow though.

     In the morning they all had breakfast, put on their coats and headed for the lake that they go to every year to see the fresh ice. It wasn't too far away. In fact you could see it if you stood on the roof of the house. They walked across the fresh snow with the cracking of frost beneath their feet. When they reached the lake, they all stood around it in shock. There was no ice on the lake.

     "There's no ice...?" Nya said.

     "Maybe it'll be there tomorrow," Kai said calmly.

     "Yeah," Jay agreed.

     They all walked back to the house slightly disappointed. The day passed by slowly. They all couldn't stop talking about how there wasn't any ice on the lake.

     "Can you believe that?" Austin asked.

     "No! Why wouldn't Zane put ice on the lake?" Cole said confused.

     "I know. It's like he didn't see our care for him..." Jay said softly.

     "It's gonna be there tomorrow guys, I promise," Kai says with energy.

     It's morning and everyone has breakfast. They put on their coats and go to the lake once more. They all stand around the lake. Still no ice.

     "There's still no ice, dad," Luke says with a quiet voice.

     "I know Luke. He hasn't brought any ice for us..." Lloyd says softly.

     Kayla exclaimed, "What's a winter without ice?"