Chapter 15

"Wait up Cory!" Mandy shouts behind me. I think about walking away faster, but it would be pointless. She's already seen me and she probably knows I have been trying my best not to talk to her too much in the last couple of days.

I stop and turn around, waiting for her to catch up to me.

"What the hell Cory? You haven't spoken to me all week... What's going on?" she says all out of breath as she stops in front of me.

"We've spoken," I answer.

"Like two words about the fucking weather," she replies as she bends over and puts her hands on her knees, trying to catch her breath.

"You are really out of shape," I say and I can't help the smile creeping over my face. How long has it been since I smiled? A week? Two weeks?

"Yes, and you walk damn fast for someone with such short legs," she answers as she comes back up to look me in the eyes. "Sit down."

"What? Here?" I ask looking around me. We are right in the middle of the football field and the jocks will probably be here in a while for practice.

"Yes Cory. Here," she says as she plumps down on the ground, indicating for me to take a seat next to her on the too perfect lawn.

"Okay," I say sitting down, but not facing her. I look toward the school building, which I might not be able to look at for much longer. I cock my head between her and the school. Trying to take in the picture of both as much as I can.

"What's going on?" Mandy asks, flipping her hair to the side. I think about telling her to put her hair back since her face is still red from running after me.

"I don't know what you mean," I say playing as dumb as I possibly can. How can I tell her what I'm planning?

"I'm not stupid Cory. We've been friends since forever. Out with it," she says and just like that bossy Mandy who usually gets everything out of me is right in my face.

"We'll be out on the street in two days from now," I answer.

"Wait... What?" Mandy says. "Didn't you guys just sell of your stuff to pay the motel and everything?"

"That was like over two months ago," I mumble, looking down at the grass, looking for a blade of it that I can play with but everything seems so short.

"Seriously? Don't kid me Cory!" she almost shouts before she screws her face into a bunch, thinking seriously. "It happened around the time when Brent and I... Fuck... Yes, that's like two months ago. Maybe longer."

"Yeah, time flies when you're having fun," I say and I can almost taste the bitterness in my voice. It's not that I am bitter but I don't know why she had to bring up Brent as well.

"Well you know Brent has been keeping me very busy," she says apologetically. I should be glad. This is as much as a sorry as I will ever get from Mandy about things like Brent.

"Yeah, I've noticed the two of you are attached by the hip," I answer. "In any case. It doesn't matter. I'm glad you have someone that you care for."

"But Cory... I love you too! Hell, this is terrible news. I mean you guys sold all that stuff. Wasn't it enough?" Mandy asks with horror on her face.

"There wasn't really that much. Mom sold a lot of things I didn't know about when we were living with my Aunt. Barbara wanted more and more money on like a daily basis," I say trying my best not to think about how little we actually did get for our stuff. It's true what they say... Beggars can't be choosers and what was offered for most of our things was pure daylight robbery.