Chapter 21

It's like the chill has come from outside and into the school hallway itself as well. I can't help but pull my hoodie over my head to cover my ears. Not just against the cold bite in the air, but also against the voices whispering behind hands to one another around me in the hall. I know they are talking to me. I can feel it actually. It makes me sick to know that they all know as well.

"Cory Anderson to the principal's office please. Cory Anderson."

The intercom is louder than it usually is. I swear they have pushed up the volume just in order to get my name over the intercom.

"I'm coming," I mumble to no one in particular as I make my way down the hall toward the offices.

"Cory," I hear my name from right beside me, but I keep on walking, not daring to look at Patrick who seems to be walking right next to me. The last thing I want is to talk to him.

"Cory, please just stop for a second," he says again, and this time I do. I stop and I turn to look at him, aware that every single eye in the hallways is on us.

"Yes?" I ask not trusting myself to say anything more. The weight on my chest is already almost too heavy for me to handle, and anything out of my mouth might be enough to make me cry at this point. I have been humiliated enough already. If I start crying in front of everybody at school I might as well leave the school and the city. Fuck... I might as well die on the spot.

"Can you meet me at Bookstairs after school please?" Patrick says and I almost want to smile because of how stupid he can be.

"Sure. You might have to wait there a while, since obviously I will be walking. Might even work in a basin bath in the public bathroom before I meet up with you," I say sarcastically. I know the people standing closest to us can hear every single word, but I don't care. Jaycee already made sure that I have nothing to hide anymore.

"Gosh Cory... Was that necessary? You can drive with me," Patrick says shaking his head at me in pity. I know its pity because I can see it in his eyes. It's that look that's almost laced with tears, but not quite. It doesn't truly say 'poor you' although that's what they are trying their best to say. What it does actually means is; 'I am so glad I am not in your shoes', which doesn't make it pity at all. It is actually them just feeling sorry that you can't have the perfect life they have.

"I will meet you there," I say as I turn around to walk away, but then I turn back and add; "I don't need a lift and I do not need your pity."

I walk away as fast as I can before Patrick has the chance to even say something in response. I don't want to hear another lie. He has already shown his true colors to me. Those hours on his bed or his kitchen, making out and talking about mostly his life has all been for nothing. It meant nothing, because at the end of the day when he found out my biggest secret, that may I add had nothing to do with him in the first place, his rich-ass privileged self showed up and drove away leaving me on a parking lot in tears.

"Miss Hallow?" I ask when I reach the secretary desk.

She immediately looks up from her paperwork, and like always she smiles at me.

"Hi there Cory. I'm so sorry I had to call you over the intercom. It's just that it's one of those crazy days and I can't seem to locate a roster for you so that I could come and call you in class time," she says sticking out her hand to mine and brushing it.

Although Miss Hallow always smiles and always shows a little bit of affection to each and every student it has changed. She has the same look in her eyes that I just left Patrick with in the hallway.

"So you also know?" I ask ignoring her little fib about a roster and the intercom.

"What do you mean?" she asks, her smile disappearing and a slight look of fake shock going over her face. Well, maybe it's not fake. Maybe it's just because she didn't expect me to confront her.