Chapter 28

I sit on the sidewalk of the parking lot, jumping up every time I see an SUV entering the parking to the mall, waiting for my mother and checking my watch every few seconds.

"She's late," I whisper to nobody in particular, wondering if she would notice my backpack with me and hoping that she won't ask me why I didn't leave my things at Mandy's if I am sleeping there. Maybe I can tell her how I have been really attached to the things I haven't lost yet, but then again it might make her feel guilty and sad which is the one thing I don't want at the moment.

As another SUV comes driving in, which is without a doubt not my mother since this car is a bright red, and much newer than our white one, I hear my stomach rumbling. You would think that you get used to only eating in the evenings, but somehow you just don't quite get used to it after all. Your body keeps on asking you for the things you cannot give it, and sitting at the mall near the food court doesn't make it any easier at all.

I give up jumping up every time I see a car approaching and close my eyes, giving myself over to the smell of the food reaching me where I am sitting. I have always found it gross to think that people could eat out of the garbage, but right now I would be willing to eat anything I am smelling, even if it comes from a dustbin.

"Cory?"

I look up into the eyes of the very last person I expected to bump into.

"Mandy..." I say, looking over her shoulder at any cars coming into the parking lot as I stand up. The last thing I need is for my mom to show up here and find out that Mandy and I aren't friends anymore.

"You don't look good at all," she mentions shielding her eyes from the sun as she looks me up and down.

"Jeez. Thanks," I say sarcastically. I already know I look like shit. There's no reason for her to remind me. "Where's Brent?"

I look around, trying my best to see Mandy's jock pet, or at the very least his Jeep, but neither seems to be around.

"I'm here alone. I was actually looking for you," Mandy answers. "Your mom called me. She thinks for some reason that you have been staying with me the last few nights."

As Mandy says the words I feel a coldness running through my body as fear starts setting in.

"Why did she call you?" I ask, too afraid to move, not wanting to really know what Mandy has told her.

"She wanted to speak to me before talking to you," Mandy answers. "She wanted to know how my mom would feel about you staying with me for another months or so."

Mandy moves out of the way, making the sun shine right into my eyes as she lowers herself next to me and take a seat on the ground.

"Did you tell her I haven't been at your house?" I ask, sitting down next to her.

"No. Not yet," Mandy answers as she takes something out of her pocket and holding it out to me.

She opens her hand to reveal the little silver shell in the palm of her hand.

"Do you remember when we promised each other we will always keep each other's secrets?" she asks. "I needed to first make sure I'm not breaking a promise by saying stuff I shouldn't."

"You mean..?" I say staring down at the necklace in her hand. "You think we're still friends?"

Somehow I just thought that Mandy would never speak to me again and here she is, sticking out a hand of friendship once more. It's like being in primary school all over again, although back then she didn't hold out jewelry to seal the deal. Back then she held out some liquorish which I took and ate. Not because I liked it, because I can't understand how anyone could like liquorish; but rather because I really wanted her as my friend. Mandy seems almost just as nice now as she did that day when we first became best friends.